Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Placing trail cameras for first time... advice?

lifesupport4u

I want to place trail cameras in the unit I plan to hunt. I have never put trail cameras up before.

Anybody have a good guide or how to write up for big game trail cams? Any advice on placement or selecting areas in a unit to place cameras?

I will have 2 partial days max to scout the unit ahead of the season. I am not after a trophy, just want to start to figure out what areas the elk are in and want to utilize the cameras to be my eyes since I barely have time to scout.

Look for wallows or heavy game trails leading to or from thick bedding cover or food or water. Place cameras facing North or South so that rising and setting sun doesn't white out your images. Also on trails set them so they are looking down or up a trail so that they have plenty of time to take pictures. Setting them perpendicular to the trail will often get just the back half of animals if the camera is too close to the trail or doesn't have super fast trigger speed. I like to set mine for a 3 burst set of pictures when triggered. If leaving it there for a long time use as big of a SD card as you can, and set time delay between sets of pictures longer if you are worried about running out of memory. Also practice with it in the yard or kitchen to be sure you have things set up correctly, and that you can load the pictures to your laptop or that your card reader works in the field.

If using for elk, in addition to hanging them as high as you can reach, I’ve found wiping everything you touched down with an alcohol wipe helps keep the elk from bothering them as much. I usually just take a couple paper towels soaked in isopropyl alcohol and put them in a zip lic bag. I used trail cams a lot in Ohio and white tails never bothered them, but elk are much more inquisitive and can bump the camera so that it’s no longer facing where you want and then you’re done getting pics until you go back and straighten it up.

All good advice here, also if you are spending a lot of money you might also buy some locks to secure them. I feel like I heard a podcast about that but can’t remember which one. I’ll look back and advise if I find it.

Losing trail cameras is frustrating but it happens a lot on public land.

I personally don't hang them high and angle them because I usually bolt a lock box to the tree (which is tough to do at an angle) and as long as your target area isn't super close to the camera, I typically get good full body shots. Definitely bring a knife or something to cut away all branches and grass that might eventually grow into view of the lens.

If you can, bring a small digital camera or a card reader of some sort so you can do a test run after you hang it. Walk by it a few times and then take the card out and make sure the placement and everything is good. With how unlevel the ground can be out in the woods, it can be hard to tell exactly how the shots are going to be framed. As someone else mentioned, making sure it isn't pointing East or West is very important. I like pointing them slightly NE.

Lastly, use Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries. They're a little pricey but are absolutely worth it unless you plan on checking it weekly

I want to place trail cameras in the unit I plan to hunt. I have never put trail cameras up before.

Anybody have a good guide or how to write up for big game trail cams? Any advice on placement or selecting areas in a unit to place cameras?

I will have 2 partial days max to scout the unit ahead of the season. I am not after a trophy, just want to start to figure out what areas the elk are in and want to utilize the cameras to be my eyes since I barely have time to scout.

Keep an eye out for crossroad intersections. Then you get traffic from all directions. That's also a great spot for a salt block (if legal). They can smell salt and that could attract a few too.

A spot for easy access is a bonus. It's a bummer to walk two hours only to discover the spot sucks. In a new area I stick close to roads at first.

At home I pack separate backpacks for each camera set. Then you maximize your time in the woods. Set one move to the next spot and grab another backpack and take off. It gets hectic out there especially trying to navigate new roads and trails and switching gears to remember everything you need for a camera set.

It goes without saying but I'll say it anyway, be sure to turn on your camera before you leave and Mark the location with your GPS.

Good luck. It's addicting.

I just saw this on YouTube, once you have set your camera tale your iPhone and place the camera on reverse mode ( so the camera is looking back at you) put that up to the trail camera and your will be able to see if you have the correct angle. I also walk past the camera pull the SD card and then check the photo. Just as a few guys stated bears and elk will investigate cameras. You will get photos like this one if you don't put them in a box.

Attachments

• WGI_0234.JPG
    WGI_0234.JPG
    730.9 KB · Views: 32
look for game trail fresh on that looks like has good traffic put on water source or any onther type of natural attracttent

I do the same as stated above, but usually will throw one on trails into my elk hunting area if I'm looking at a new area and want to see how many people have been in and out of the area.

With such a short period of time, I would set the camera with as short of a delay a possible when setting on trails.

Also if you have it, consider using the time lapse feature in the right spot. They are great for covering a good sized area - especially if you are just trying to locate animals and are not particularly concerned about size. They can give intel about what’s coming in to a large watering hole, etc.

A lot of experience and I suppose some lessons learned and shared right here. I learned a lot of this the hard way😂
I will mention if in Montana take them down before the season opens...

A lot of experience and I suppose some lessons learned and shared right here. I learned a lot of this the hard way😂
I will mention if in Montana take them down before the season opens...

Are you saying to take them down before season opens in Montana because they will certainly get found and stolen? That is my approach for sure - will be taking mine down next weekend....which really bums me out but I just don't want to risk it going home with someone else. From a legal standpoint, it used to be illegal to leave them out in Montana during season but that law was changed 2 years ago I believe. The only thing that is illegal is live streaming from a trail camera.

Are you saying to take them down before season opens in Montana because they will certainly get found and stolen? That is my approach for sure - will be taking mine down next weekend....which really bums me out but I just don't want to risk it going home with someone else. From a legal standpoint, it used to be illegal to leave them out in Montana during season but that law was changed 2 years ago I believe. The only thing that is illegal is live streaming from a trail camera.
...and right you are!

Back