PL/PW meeting 2.23.2022

Ben, a gift to landowners? If this is not an opening of access what is? 350 of elk were harvested by the public. Might not be perfect, but it certainly is a good start.

Ben, a gift to landowners? If this is not an opening of access what is? 350 of elk were harvested by the public. Might not be perfect, but it certainly is a good start.
I heard that number thrown out there on the meeting yesterday and it didn't add up. Maybe there were 350 elk killed on those ranches but there's no way those elk were all part of the 454 agreements. How many new 454's were put in place last fall? 5?

If the richest landowners in the state need bull tags specially given to them in order to open their land to sick kids and wounded veterans, that says a lot about them. No?

There's a lot more to this story than is being told by the folks responsible for the changes, and for the bulls for billionaires program that 454 has been turned into.

I heard that number thrown out there on the meeting yesterday and it didn't add up. Maybe there were 350 elk killed on those ranches but there's no way those elk were all part of the 454 agreements. How many new 454's were put in place last fall? 5?
There were 13 in 2021. Attached is the summary. Another report on 7 of the agreements that were draft is in draft form, and a full report on 454 Agreements is scheduled to be available in August. I am very interested in that last report, as it will include hunter experience, which to me will be definitive evaluation criteria on the effectiveness of the 454 Agreements.

Attachments

• 454-Summary-2012-2021.pdf
    232.4 KB · Views: 26
350 elk may have been killed on those private lands but not directly correlated to the 454 program. Several of those ranches are enrolled in Block Management and we already allowing access. I know for certain that a bunch of elk were killed in archery season on those lands before they even had their 454 exchange done. It’s disingenuous to act like those elk were shot due to the 454 providing access.

350 elk may have been killed on those private lands but not directly correlated to the 454 program. Several of those ranches are enrolled in Block Management and we already allowing access. I know for certain that a bunch of elk were killed in archery season on those lands before they even had their 454 exchange done. It’s disingenuous to act like those elk were shot due to the 454 providing access.
Agreed. There were 92 public hunters granted access through the 454 agreements last year. They did not kill 350 elk.

Watching todays PLPW meeting....doesn't look like the 454 program is headed in the right direction. More talk about trophy bull size than elk populations.

Reactions: DFS

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back