Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Pitch the stock or pitch the gun?

perma

There was a similar thread for a Vanguard replacement but it didn’t seem to fit what I’m looking for. Unless I’m ignorant.

I have a 30-06 Vanguard with the heavy plastic. Good gun but I don’t like how heavy it is. The scope is a big part of it and that’ll get replaced this year.

I’m at a crossroads of either getting a different stock or a different gun. I like the 30-06 and it groups well, so I thought of just replacing the stock with a lightweight stock with an adjustable comb. Couldn’t find one so I may need to add the comb on my own.

Or I could get a new rifle. Not sure I really want to do that. I like Weatherby and the only other Vanguard I can get that’s lightweight is another $1000.

Aaaand go!

Googled it for you . . .https://www.stockysstocks.com/stock-finder/howa/1500.html

Lots of price points. All under $550.

You can also look at Boyds if you want composite wood.

I also have a number of Tikkas in Bell and Carlson

I put mine in an HS Precision day one. Not light, but love it.

I use the kydex cheek risers when needed.

Googled it for you . . .https://www.stockysstocks.com/stock-finder/howa/1500.html

Lots of price points. All under $550.

You can also look at Boyds if you want composite wood.

I also have a number of Tikkas in Bell and Carlson

I put mine in an HS Precision day one. Not light, but love it.

I use the kydex cheek risers when needed.
For the cheek riser, that’s drilled into the stock and is adjustable correct?

How did that work? Do they give you a template to drill or do you lay it on the stock and mark holes?
I love them - but I know some think they are ugly. They add almost no weight or cost and it makes a bunch of my rifles easily swappable between my son and me in the field/range. I just put down a layer of blue masking tape and placed it where I wanted it, mark with a sharpie, shimmed it square and drilled on a benchtop drill press. Takes 15 minutes all in.

I love them - but I know some think they are ugly. They add almost no weight or cost and it makes a bunch of my rifles easily swappable between my son and me in the field/range. I just put down a layer of blue masking tape and placed it where I wanted it, mark with a sharpie, shimmed it square and drilled on a benchtop drill press. Takes 15 minutes all in.
*warning, this type of activity is a gateway to tinkering, acquiring more firearms, and (shudder) reloading. Proceed with caution.

Seriously, mod it and learn to improve em.

Yeah I didn’t think it would be. I wanted to do it to a Mark V I have but I have issues with drilling into a $2k gun

To the OP- I signed up for the email notification from Stockys Stocks for blemished stocks that work for my needs.
I don't care what color it is as a rattle can will make it all match.
I DO care about saving damned near 50% off the price though.

I'm confused....

Do you want a Weatherby?
Or do you want a Vangard?
:unsure:

If your spending $1,000 on a Howa marketed for Weatherby. Save up the extra $300 and get a Mark V Hunter.
Or $600 for a Weathermark.
Note, i've seen the Hunter going for $1,200 new.

The Kydex cheek risers remind me of the old Savage long range rifles.
I tried one out with that type of riser and hated it!
Way too bulky.
It pushes your face to the side, away from the stock.

Boyds stocks are inexpensive, but they aren't light.

Last edited:
I'm confused....

Do you want a Weatherby?
Or do you want a Vangard?
:unsure:

If your spending $1,000 on a Howa marketed for Weatherby. Save up the extra $300 and get a Mark V Hunter.
Or $600 for a Weathermark.
Note, i've seen the Hunter going for $1,200 new.

The Kydex cheek risers remind me of the old Savage long range rifles.
I tried one out with that type of riser and hated it!
Way too bulky.
It pushes your face to the side, away from the stock.

Boyds stocks are inexpensive, but they aren't light.
I have both a Mark V and Vanguard.

I'm big on bedding the stocks and actually don't think there a stock made that can't be bedded well. Problem with stocks is some seem awfully flimsey and even though you cam make most shoot, hard to stop flimsy one's from moving around. personally I think the best way to fix a flimsy stock is to invest in a wood stock! I have a Rem plastic stock here that came on a 700 ADL years ago. Absolutely the worst bedded stock I've ever seen. had to beat the barrel on the back of the couch to get the barreled action out of the thing, didn't shoot even remotely well! Re-bedded the thing in the plastic stock so I could just pick the loose barreled action out of it and it shot like a house on fire! Still a plastic stock and I simply don't like them but showed me that proper bedding can mean a lot to a rifle that won't shoot, even with a junk stock. Kinda of steping on my own opinion on stocks but I believe most stocks that are keeping a rifle from shooting can be fixed, plastic sure is ugly though and just don't feel right. One thing I like about some plastic is the metal bedding block. Need that in a wood stock but then good hard wood should work fine. I do not believe even the bedding block will match up perfect on each rifle its designed for, if I had one I believe I would use a layer of liquid steel on the block. Only talking about thousands here and there but they do add up! I also believe there has never been a .000" group shot for no other reason than perfection is about imposible to reach!

The worst shooting rifle I ever had was a Rem mod 7 when they came out. Wood stock and went through the bedding several times an nothing worked on it. I believe something was messed up in the action that I wasn't smart enough to fix. At this point I suspect the stock was about as good as it could be. One bad thing about wood stocks, or so I've read, is softing of the wood at the action screws. Happens, so I understands fron cleaning fluid being allowed to leach into the wood. But I also think it would take years to show up as a problem.

As for a 30-06 being to heavy, 30-06 is still gonna recoil like a 30-06 and people seem to always want a lighter stock whick will make the recoil feel even heavier. if your gonna chase light weight, your gonna find recoil you won't care fore sooner or later. Work out and shoot more. learn to handle what you have and the problem hides itself! I had an L61R Sako in 7mm mag and 338 mag, both fairly heavy as rifles go and brutal to shoot. Carrying never bother me near as bad as recoil but I did over come the recoil part with lots of shooting. used to shoot ground squirrels up im Montana with them just to stay in practice. Can be awful to try shooting well with a rifle which recoil bothers you. Worst rifle I had like that though was a 30-06. Don't remember if it was a Remington or Winchester but never could get used to it! That I suspect had to do with stock design!

back to the beginning, a well bedded stock, no matter plastic or wood will shoot well but a poor barreled action just might not! Also good as a well bedded plastic or wood stock may shoot, if it's not built well it really ups the felt recoil and the problem then likely becomes the shooter. I bet that 30-06 I had shot a lot better than I was able to shoot it!

Last edited:
Back