PEAX Equipment

Pine Ridge Nebraska turkey hunting trip

CUtigerj87

Hello all I'm new to the board. My friend and I are going to go do an out of state hunt for the first time this coming May and we are looking into Nebraska. We are from South Carolina so this will be a long trip. I personally have never been out west so I'm excited about the adventure. We have all but settled on Pine Ridge to hunt for Merriams. We are planning to do a DIY hunt and primitive camp on the national forest. We have camped here on the east coast in the Appalachian foothills but this will be new territory for both of us. Any tips on how to navigate the forest, places to camp, planning for such a long trip? Any advice for us would be appreciated.

Not too hard to navigate. If you are really worried about it, just split the OnX membership and download the map to use without service.

Another option is to go into the black hills of South Dakota for Turkeys. I believe for non resident they are still an over the counter tag and tons of public land to hunt as well.

Lots of turkeys in Nebraska. We've had great luck getting private access for them east of where you're going. Also they can be found on public access when numbers are good.
Local newspaper offices and some real estate offices will sell a plat map book with landowners names listed in the small towns.
Good luck!

Reviving this thread a bit. How have the turkey numbers looked in the Pine Ridge area lately?

You do know that the public land on the Pine Ridge burned a few years ago? Went there last spring after having hunted there pre-fire for nearly 30 years, and most of the public land looked like No Man's Land in WWI. There were people everywhere there were a few remaining trees. Depressed hell out of me, so I have switched to habitat units elsewhere in NE.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back