Pig farmers help

WildWill

Two years ago I started raising and slaughtering my own pigs in my never ending drive to get as close to my food as possible. The first year I just did one last year two and I just picked up 4 for this year (no plans on doing 8 next year). The first three pig were all gilts(young sows) but this year I couldn't find any gilts think I waited too long so I now have 4 boars all uncastrated. I've heard everything from absolutley castrate them or the meat will be bad and they'll nonstop tear things up to there's no reason to castrate them as there are no sows around and they'll never make it past a year old. I have no problem doing the dirty work if there is a reason. 20190420_163851.jpg

You could castrate half of them and do a Pepsi challenge.

We always castrated market-destined bull calves and young boars whether they were going to be with females or not. Seems like the industry standard, but no first hand knowledge of it's effect on meat quality.

You should castrate them, for all the more work/time it takes, it is easier to do when they are young. Even though they won't make it past a year, why risk it? Growing up we always castrated.

I would castrate. It isn't too hard if you have someone to hold them by their back legs.

Surely there is a YouTube video showing how to do it......(rolling my eyes into the back of this veterinarian's sons head).

Sooner rather than later, if you are going to do it.

DEFINATELY castrate them. At six months a domestic pig is sexually mature and will start smelling like a boar. The meat will be tainted. However, wild boar is a delicacy in New York I'm told as there are some people in Texas trapping them and selling them for that purpose. If the meat smells like a boar, I'm out!

The reason for the most part to castrate anything is too not give away blood lines / the other is so they will grow bigger faster! No unnecessary growing of sexual organs or “testosterone”.... and a nice side effect is they smell a lot better.
Matt

Thanks for the advice guys sounds like bad news for those fellas. I've castrated hundreds of calfs just never a hog. I have a buddy who has done a couple of wild hogs he caught with his dogs who offered to help Sunday.

I would castrate if I was you. I've had them turn out ok under around 225 lbs and heard of others being not good. Probably not worth risking your time and feed.

Castrate them now or ASAP or you will live to regret it.. They will have a very distinct taste that I'm betting you and your family won't like if you do not do it. Not to mention that as they get bigger getting the job done gets much more challenging not to mention the later one does it the higher chance of mortality.. BTW I raised pigs for close to 30 years and all phases of it.. Not just feeders but breeding stock and specifically piglets.. I would hate to think how many I have castrated over the years and have castrated hogs as large as 225-250 pounds for others, not fun....

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back