Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Piebalds

Never seen one, would be cool though.
Kind of like a bobcat to me, I would think, have always wanted to shoot one but every time I see one, I just end up watching it!!

we had some about 15 years ago, maybe 3-4. I shot one and had the hide tanned. The others were not shot, but eventually died off. have not seen one since. they are definitely cool to watch, it took me awhile before I decided to take one.

We saw one a couple of times this year out hunting mulies. My friend talked with a rancher later and he said that doe had been around for a couple of years. Pretty cool to see.

Saw a piebald doe when I was about 15 deer hunting in PA. Looked at it and spent the next hour wondering when the neighbor got a goat. Then I realized what I was really looking at.

Last edited:
Lots of piebald whitetails here in the east. By lots I mean I see at least one a year. I shot at a piebald doe once and somehow missed and would not hesitate to go after one again if I had the chance. They are not bad luck, and probably a sign of inbreeding since I see more in small isolated woodlots than in the bigger patches.

I have seen a few here over the years. My father in law shot a piebald doe when we were on a hunt in North Carolina about 15 years ago.

I shot one 12-15 years ago, nice fat 4 pt. , wouldn't do it again. felt like I had bad ju-ju for quite a while. they're just too cool and rare for me - even if it makes sense biological to take em out

Never seen one but I did see an albino doe several times one year. I could never figure out how a completely white animal in the woods could stay so clean and bright. beautiful animal.

piebalds and albinos are a result of inbreeding , i read that somewhere. its not a "good" thing if piebalds or albinos are common i guess

Saw a piebald doe when I was about 15 deer hunting in PA. Looked at it and spent the next hour wondering when the neighbor got a goat. Then I realized what I was really looking at.
I did the opposite one time. Saw something that I thought was a piebald deer so I turned the truck around and drove back by only to find out it was a goat. My wife enjoyed that one for a while.

Curious if this would be considered a piebald? Have seem a pair of then with similar patches.

Screen Shot 2019-12-30 at 12.41.35 PM.png

There is an albino deer a couple hours from here. Really cool to see her eating in a wheat field. Never had the good fortune to see a piebald though. One of the guys that works with me has a piebald squirrel in his backyard.

6-8 years ago there was an albino doe running around a couple of miles from where I hunted. I never heard of anyone harvesting it

My cousin shot one about 20 years ago, small buck, he got a full body mount, looks pretty cool. About every 5 to 6 years one shows up in my neighborhood

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back