Picked up a Savage Model 110 270. What ammo for elk?

I have the same rifle and have put several different rounds through it. My personal rifle really likes the Federal 130 grain Trophy Copper. My groupings have gotten super tight with these and the retained energy is pretty awesome out to 500 yards plus.

Personally, I would run several different types of ammunition through it and find out what your rifle likes best.

Can’t add much to what’s already been said. For elk I’d lean towards a heavier (140-150gr) tough C&C or bonded bullet, or a 130gr solid copper. May want to add 140gr Hornady whitetail to the mix if shooting factory ammo, as I trust that bullet’s performance and the ammo is known for fairly consistent accuracy for the price point.

Ultimately your rifle will tell you. Find what it likes and go hunt.

Never shot anything with a 270. also I pretty much only shoot bullet's i can affrod, cup and core. had a 270 once, got stolen. Had a load worked up with 140gr bullet's but actually thinl 150 gr would be better. I think the 150 at somewhat reduced velocity shot into an elk will have plenty of velocity to penetrate with low enough velocity to keep the bullet together. Two things penetrate, velovity and weight!

I shoot the Barnes 129 lrx out of my savage 270. Reloads but it shoots about 1/2-3/4 moa.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back