Pick a state to become a resident ...

"Hunting" is pretty broad. Are you wanting to hunt because you always wanted to, or because that's the only hobby you ever considered? Most people adjust hobbies over their life. Obviously, the species pursued makes a difference.

With that in mind, I'd consider career opportunities and "reasonable" schools for kids for now assuming you think you might have kids or additional kids in the future.

After that, I'd consider the politics of the state you are considering. It's possible that you can exist in any state despite your politics if you pick the right part/city of the state.

For me, it was MT, WY, and ID. Your list could be different. That being said, the weather is dramatically different in different parts of most states. Do look up climate data when you are getting closer.

Honestly by the time I’ll be able to move or retire, I fear my hunting will be in its waning days. So WY is probably off the list, 365 living is not for the faint of heart. I’m “only” 48 YO, but kinda feel already that I wasted my life. I was sooooo close… living out of my truck all over the west at 22, just bumming, fishing, and hunting and loving it… before I came back east “temporarily”.

So I am an expert in knowing that decisions on where to LIVE should be made early and that life flies by quickly. And now, anchored in quite possibly one of the worst states to live & retire, the allure of moving has even faded a degree. Although I hate admitting it, ya can’t buy back time. And what’s the perfect place without all the time to enjoy it.

* Disclosure : This is apparently my three whiskey mood tonight. LOL.
I get it.

They are your tags to do whatever you want with.
Meh, other than the just in case tags threw away general deer, type 3 buck tag, 2 whitetail doe tags. Didn't see a general buck I wanted, the others just didn't have time.

Didn't draw pronghorn doe tags last year. Apply for those just to throw them away.

I never mind throwing tags away.

Meh, other than the just in case tags threw away general deer, type 3 buck tag, 2 whitetail doe tags. Didn't see a general buck I wanted, the others just didn't have time.

Didn't draw pronghorn doe tags last year. Apply for those just to throw them away.

I never mind throwing tags away.
It's not my jam, but I don't live there.

South Dakota. Fishing of many species from trout to walleyes and pike to bass and panfish. Occasional antelope tags. Both species of deer regularly, Rare elk tags that are for R only. NR can't even apply. R only get to archery hunt deer in Sept on public land, NR can't till Oct. 1. Lots of bird hunting species and goofy laws that favor R for those as well. Their NR laws piss me off, but I still hope to move there in retirement. Also, no state income tax and the hottest governor in the country (probably).

Last edited:
ALERT: Montana home owners are bearing the tax burden. Those living on a fixed income are ( apologies) taking the high hard one in the ass thanks to GG and his crew. Wyoming would seem a better place to make sacrifices( forego hip and rad) in order to preserve hard earned money and still have the experience.

Colorado 2024 isn't the same Colorado I moved to in 2006. Colorado can kiss my arse, I'm out of here as soon as my son gets out of college.
Grew up Northern Front range. I 100% agree. I left for love 3 years ago after 50 years but I'll never go back and I planned on Wyoming or Northern New Mexico once I retired. Colorado has changed for the worse!

ALERT: Montana home owners are bearing the tax burden. Those living on a fixed income are ( apologies) taking the high hard one in the ass thanks to GG and his crew. Wyoming would seem a better place to make sacrifices( forego hip and rad) in order to preserve hard earned money and still have the experience.
Weren't you a transplant at one time? Serious question.

If I was big into bird hunting and excellent fishing, I would pick Idaho. Plenty of big game opportunities too.
not to be too contradictory but Idaho bird hunting is a shell of what it once was and could be. About the only part of it I would say is good or has improved over time is turkey hunting. I’d question anyone that moves here for bird hunting opportunities

Kansas gets no love. We have mule deer, elk, and pronghorn along with scads of big whitetails. It may not have massive numbers, but the animals here are all but reserved for residents, with some exceptions.
Kansas would be my 1st pick, but dang those property taxes are way too high! OTC Deer, great bird hunting, and Colorado is close with ridiculously easy tags for Nonresident's. Great Bend would be an awesome place to live!

Daughter is starting school this fall at Ft Hays and I'm looking forward to the visits and pheasants!

Weren't you a transplant at one time? Serious question.
You didn't process what I was saying.
Montana has become glamorized and become a pretty expensive place to live. My comment about Montana vs Wyoming was from a tax angle.
Transplant? Yeah my ancestors crossed the pond and settled in 1605...at least according to the family tree.

You didn't process what I was saying.
Montana has become glamorized and become a pretty expensive place to live. My comment about Montana vs Wyoming was from a tax angle.
Transplant? Yeah my ancestors crossed the pond and settled in 1605...at least according to the family tree.
No I did. Everybody is a transplant one way or another. I just don't think people are going to take into consideration how much someone else's taxes are going to go up when choosing a place to live.

Kansas would be my 1st pick, but dang those property taxes are way too high! OTC Deer, great bird hunting, and Colorado is close with ridiculously easy tags for Nonresident's. Great Bend would be an awesome place to live!

Daughter is starting school this fall at Ft Hays and I'm looking forward to the visits and pheasants!
The property taxes aren’t too bad when the cost of housing and goods aren’t high (outside of KC). It’s a balance.

I went to FHSU too. It’s a great school. That’s where I found my hunting partner. I’d stay away from Great Bend, though. It seems nice on the outside but it’s pretty grimy. If you want the same benefits of the GB area, Ellinwood and Larned are right down the road and they’re awesome communities.

Reach out if you ever draw something. I’d be glad to help anyone out

not to be too contradictory but Idaho bird hunting is a shell of what it once was and could be. About the only part of it I would say is good or has improved over time is turkey hunting. I’d question anyone that moves here for bird hunting opportunities
Compared to Wyoming, I think Idaho has great waterfowl and upland hunting. My experience is mostly from Lolo Pass to Orofino (tons of mountain grouse, some quail, pheasants and turkeys all over), Salmon River country (loaded with chukar and mountain grouse), and SE Idaho, pheasants, huns, mountain grouse in pretty good abundance wise.

In fairness, most of Wyoming is pretty bad bird hunting.

No I did. Everybody is a transplant one way or another. I just don't think people are going to take into consideration how much someone else's taxes are going to go up when choosing a place to live.
I think comparing tax rates between potential landing States would be a no- brainer.

South Dakota. Fishing of many species from trout to walleyes and pike to bass and panfish. Occasional antelope tags. Both species of deer regularly, Rare elk tags that are for R only. NR can't even apply. R only get to archery hunt deer in Sept on public land, NR can't till Oct. 1. Lots of bird hunting species and goofy laws that favor R for those as well. Their NR laws piss me off, but I still hope to move there in retirement. Also, no state income tax and the hottest governor in the country (probably).
You leave south Dakota out of this sir!

Keep folks going further west thank you very much

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back