Caribou Gear Tarp

Philmont Scout Ranch

Phantom

I have the privilege of leading a group of 5 Scouts, including my oldest son, and 1 adult on a 14 day backpacking trip to the Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico. Our trip will start in late July 2017 and will include 10 days of backcountry camping.

We've had a few informational meetings with our local representatives and I've been scouring the internet for almost a year to learn everything I can from the treks to gear. I have a good idea of what to expect and gear to take but I thought I'd put this out there to hear from those of you who may have been to Philmont. From talking with several other adult leaders and Scouts over the years, Philmont is usually the most rewarding adventure for everyone! I'm definitely looking forward to 2 weeks in the mountains with my son.

Please share any helpful hints from your experiences. Any special recommendations on gear, including the big 3:

Boots: Goretex (or like) or non-goretex?
Backpack: Any particular brand? Minimum of 75L.
Sleeping bags: Any particular brand for 25 degree? Lightweight and size are key.

Christmas is right around the corner so some of this gear is likely to find it's way under the tree. Plus it's a good time for seasonal closeouts. Appreciate your insight.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Openseason44
Back