Peta boy, Sheep Chaser, and pan MAN !!

Congrats. I hope you save some for Jan! Tell 'Gunner, I'll be beaotch that weekend.
wink.gif

That goose's is the biggest pecker you've ever had between your legs!
tongue.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 11-25-2003 21:15: Message edited by: 1_pointer ]</font>

Where are the pics of the gunner, or uhhh...the clown?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>That goose's is the biggest pecker you've ever had between your legs! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I knew the fag pants he wore were going to get him into trouble

Delw

OVIS.. OVIS ... OVIS.. You know how it is With Gunner... Post a Picture of him and Then We'd get bombarded with Women from around the World wanting to get his Email Addy, Phone #, Etc. .... He always Spares me the hassle. And God bless him for that
cool.gif

A box of Raspberry Filled Powdered Sugar doughnuts, and I only got one....
frown.gif

T-Bone brings mashed bananas, and did something "kinda funny" to them in his blind...
eek.gif

And other than that.... it was a good morning...
biggrin.gif

I couldn't find my three favorite goose calls, so I had to use #4, which is some flute that I never got to sound right... So, I pretty much didn't call, just listened to Moosie. That boy is pretty talented blowing.
wink.gif

And Moosie did a good job, and we got a few groups in for shooting practice. Too make it more challenging, we all set the switches on our shotguns from "MC" (Magazing Cutoff) to the "R" setting (for Random), so we all could guess how many shots each gun would shoot before jamming.

I have never had a day, that 3 different makes of guns all jammed.
mad.gif
It seemed like every group we shot into, somebody was jammed before their 3rd shot. I can't believe that everybody's gun is due for an 8-Year cleaning.... They sure don't make them like they used to....

Then one time, during a break in the action, Moosie commented that he didn't like his expensive call, and was using his cheap one... Now, I am not the smartest guy, but I was soon able to figure out that perhaps if Moosie gave me one of HIS calls to use, we could have TWO people calling. Not sure if it was just my imagination, but it seemed like the Geese came in better with two calling, but for some reason, the shooting got a bit more suspect. I won't mention any names, but two people missed a group of 30, at a very close distance...
shhh.gif

There were 4 other fields of decoys set up, in the mile south of us, and I think we got the most shooting/killing of any of the set-ups, so a good day. We never got a count of the empty shells, but the Ammo makers should see a boost in sales this weekend...
wink.gif

There is more to the stories, but I think I'll go reply to some issues in Sportsmans Issues, and pi$$ some people off...
cool.gif

Like most stories, there is Always 2 sides to the story. ‘Gunner left out a few things. He was Kind enough to dig the pits the Night prior I must say. He said he left a Decoy in the Field so we could see the pits. What he didn’t say was the Decoy was in the Pit so we couldn’t see the decoy until we found the pits. So, 2 trips across a field took place until we found the location.

We set everything up and then got in the Pits. He decied to show up at that time when the work was done. I think he took lessons from the guys We hunted with Prior. why work when Moosie is willing to do everythng attite...I'm just not sure...

The morning started off Good. If by good I meant that the geese were flying into the other peoples decoys.
smile.gif
Anyways, didn’t take long until the geese started bypassing the other decoys and coming right into ours. Since I’m not the best caller I opted not to talk to the first group that Circled and locked in. We waited … waited, they were talkig and talking … well. Nothing happened as they decided they didn’t like us.

Gunner told me to talk back to them next time. My mother always said not to "talk back" but it was ‘Gunners field so I did as he requested. And, believe it or not the Geese were coming in. The first group came in and "we" (Not 'gunner *SMILE*) knocked down a goose. I still think he likes them to fly off but he swears he actually did some shooting. That goose laid out there as another flock came in… BANG BANG (And about 6 more shots realistically too) and 2 geese fell. Geese flared and the next set were coming in.

This is were the debate gets going. The geese coming in were right on the Deck. Coming in at 20 yards off the ground. Gunner said that upside down geese aren’t good to call other geese in. So, He took off over the Field to retrieve them. I'm just not sure..., but I’ll guess T-bone would back me up that we’d of had a Better chance at an Upside down goose 80 yards from the Decoys then a Guy running across the field with a gun. I might be wrong but the next 2 groups didn’t come in. Then, the other goose that was 60 yards to my outside (Gunner was on the Left looking at the lake, then T-bone, then me). Anyways, He crosses our paths and heads out to get that one. More geese coming in and I start calling like a mad man to let him know to hit the deck. Well, It could have been my lack of calling again or it could have been that a Man was running across the field with a gun. I’m Once I'm just not sure...

The day goes on and a group of 25 come over and Land behind us about 100 yards out. There is a ditch between us and them. T-bone had been whining for about 1 hour about going to the Restroom. My thinking is if you can’t hold a case of Beer in your blatter you shouldn’t drink a case for Breakfast. But maybe that’s just me again..I'm just not sure... ??!?!?

We tried to get a few more flights in, and even shot at a close group but at no Avail. What was funny is T-bone borrowed cloths and he wore a BLUE shirt. I think it’s a type of water camo he usually wears..I'm just not sure.... He seemed to be a type of Jack-in-the-box and had a habbit of jumping up. Gunner and me (I think) would never get anything because we like them in our laps landed. At any rate, I’m not sure if it was the Camo but One time I saw T-bone sit up out of the blind, Fumble with his GUN trying to uncover the tangled mess, and then shoot 30 seconds later and the geese never flared once. Gunner and me popped up afterwards and the Back up shooting wasn’t much Better I guess…..

We try to call in some Geese and even with the Geese landed behind us we fail to get any shooting in. 2 came in close but we let them go hoping the larger group would come in. NOPE!! Anyways, T-bone decides to go Pee and although steathfully climbs out of the pit and Kneeling down, the Geese behind us don’t like the looks of a Guy that close to them. So much for the Ground Stalk. MAybe we couldn't have used the Ditch for Cover, I'm just not sure...

I pulled the extra call out I had and Tossed it to Gunner after he said He’d toot on it no matter how bad it sounded. Hell, they came in with me so why not ?!?! I think he was right about there not being many geese hit the ground after he stated calling but I think that there weren’t any shots either. Once again, it probably wasn’t his calling….. I'm just not sure...
wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Washington Hunter:
Great story and pictures! Moosie are you and T-bone brothers?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually NOT related in any way Shape or Form, Besides through that Adam and Eve Chick
wink.gif
I can Say that He is one of the Luckiest suckers I know Hunting, My buddies say I'm the Luckiest guy hunting... So Between the two We can Do Everything wrong and Still have Success I think
wink.gif

Cali, I think He drinks more Juice then POP aswell.
tongue.gif

Thanks to Gunner and Moosie for the invite to the best goose day I've ever had!

Heres my version:

Monday: Work an early 10 hour shift and the wife and kids pick me up at the office at 1:00to go enjoy Thanksgiving in Parma ID at the in-laws. I get an email from Moosie while still at work inviting me to go goose hunting. I call the wife and ask her to find my ammo cache and locate a box of 3" BB shells that I'd had for 5 years. I let Oscar know that I have gun and ammo but no goose hunting clothes since I planned on only hunting pheasants.

We drive through lovely Northern Nevada, Eastern Oregon and finally arrive in the big city town of Parma late at night or early in the morning.

Tuesday: wake up @ 4:30 drive to Caldwell 24hr Wal-mart to buy Idaho migratory permit, bananas, juice and donuts. Wal-Mart people don't speak english, luckily i speak spanish. I introduce them to the IDF&G POS'M machine and walk them through it, and hit the road and meet Moosie at 5:15 at a secretly located Maverick gas station. We drive Gunner's seedy trailer park neighborhood and locate the double wide with a coyote pelt tacked on the porch wall.

Between Gunner and Moosie I come out with borrowed wool overalls and a wool vest and hat. I declined anything camo, because I've read that hard-hunted birds shy from camo but not the color blue. I still had on yesterday's blue oxford topped with a blue sweatshirt.

Gunner draws Moosie a map to the field. Moosie and I will get the decoys set and Gunner will join us when he gets his girls off to school.

We drive to the field indicated. X marks the spot right? We see no decoy marker. We see no pits. We drive weaving across the field much like my GSP works a mountain for chukars. Nothing.. We turn around and try it again, this time at speeds lower than 45 mph....its getting light! finally we see the 3 shallow grave sized "pits". We get the decoys set up while a herd of ducks (if numbers of ducks > 50 then a flock becomes a herd) buzzes us over and over within range. Moosie calls Gunner on the cell. We have decoys set on the wrong side of the blinds. We turn them around and call it good while the herd of ducks continue to molest us at close range. I'm thinking kill the ducks, Moosie says "wait until a few land then the big herd will all come in close" OK, he knows ducks so we wait. Ducks leave. Not a shot fired. Gunner shows up and gets settled in just as the 1st flights of geese start showing up on the horizon. We are laying in our shallow graves covered with burlap. My blue Wal-mart bag of doughnuts, bananas, and juice in the pit with me.

We watch several geese get killed in the next field. Nothing coming our way yet....Then 3 come our way....closer and lower, closer and lower, they loop around around us and I spring up in my blue camo and slap the trigger. A honker folds and Oscar drops another. I'm pulling on the trigger hard enough to bend the trigger and finally realize my gun is jammed. Oscar's pump is jammed too. One goose gets away.

I gotta pee like a race horse, but more birds are flying.

I yell a woo-hoo then see more flight of geese coming in low. Gunner gets up and starts running across the field. I've heard of robo-decoys and flagging, but I though that much movement was a bit off....Oh well, maybe he read about the "running decoy" from the same book that supports my blue camo theory. He later explained that a goose laying belly up will spook geese much more than a man with a gun sprinting across a field when geese are close in.

More flights of geese come in...more shots. More jammed guns. Moosie shoots a Benneli pump, I shoot a Berreta Auto, Gunner shoots a Browning Auto. All are now single shots.

More geese, more one-shot wonders. More geese, more shooting.

I couldn't control the bladder any more so I knee walked 10 yards from the blind and peed while geese were swarming around us.

Then a big group shows up on the horizon heading right for us. They circle and drop right in, They are close but nobody is jumping up....So I sit up raise my single-shot and see I have burlap hanging off my barrel. I'm carefully untangling the burlap off the bead of the barrel, I look at both Moosie and gunner and they are covered up, laying down. I shrug my shoulders wondering what they are waiting for, take a drink of juice, and finally clear the burlap tangle off the muzzle. Mean while the geese are still cupped and commited! I pull up, the gun shoots, then the geese flare and I see Moosie and Gunner sit up and start banging away. I manually cycle the auto, shoot, cycle shoot. everyone shoots 3 shells at close range, but not a goose goes down! I feel something squishy under me and realize I've been sitting on the banans and doughnuts. I offer them to Gunner and Moosie, but no takers.

A small group comes in. Gunner and Moosie shoot and two drop. One is stone dead and the other very lively and starts goose sprinting away. Oscar yells "I got 'em" and blitzes out after the bird. In his blitz he got confused which was stone dead and which was goose sprinting because he tackles the stone dead goose. A tackle that any linebacker would envy. He finally runs down the sprinting goose and shows us how to properly dispatch a wounded honker.....10 minutes later the goose revives itself and Moosie kills it again.

We had a few other small groups come in and got some more shooting. Moosie is down to 5 shells and I only have 6......Gunner didn't say how many he had left.

Gunner and Moosie's jobs are calling and we call it quits. All in all 7 geese are bagged, we should have easily had the limit of 9. If it weren't for our jamming guns we'd of run out of ammo.

I met Gunner for the 1st time, hunted again with the Moose man in my native Idaho Learned how to properly dispatch a wounded goose from Moosie. Learned the little known "running man" decoying method from Gunner. Proved my theory on geese being camo shy and completely unresponsive to the color blue. Learned that Italian and American brand repeating shotguns jam when dirty and cold. Squashed bananas provide a warm insulation layer between the ground and self....hmmm. thats about it.

Thanks again Gunner and Moosie for the invite!

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 11-27-2003 18:47: Message edited by: T Bone ]</font>

T-bone, It's funny how 3 stories are told by 2 people all being on the same Hunt and all come up a Bit different. Thats what I like about the Net, I can Actually read what Happened and RE-Remember it so I know what happened.
biggrin.gif

You actually didn't know but the reason I tackled the Dead goose first was to flip it over. I felt the force that a Flock of geese were coming in so I flipped that one over , then made it to the live one totake it out so if the geese came in they wouldn't see the 2upside down geese lying there .

You might also make fun of the Way I "finish off" a goose, but I got aCall this morning from someone Asking me how to do it because thier daughter wanted to mount a goose and they didn't want to ruin the feathers.Good hunting with you again bud,Let's not wait aWhole year till we do it again.

T-Bone and I were just laughing our a$$es off, as Moosie made a flying leap and tackled the dead goose.
biggrin.gif
And the funniest thing was, you could tell he was doing it for a serious reason, not just to be a goof. But, I'll be damned if T-Bone or I could figure it out, or still believe his story that he is now making up.
rolleyes.gif

Now if you read these stories carefully, it should strike One as odd, that Moosie and T-Bone both come close to running out of shells, shooting Single Shots!

I would look behind the blinds, and just be amazed at the number of empty shells scattered on the ground.
eek.gif

We had one group of 3 come in, and a hail of gunfire greeted them. Two of the geese dropped dead, not a wiggle. And the third goose flew off, completely un-scathed. There was easily between 6 and 9 shots fired at the 3 geese, and how the third one could leave like that was amazing.

I still haven't quite figured out where all the Powdered Sugar doughnuts went to, if T-Bone also brought some. I wonder who could have ate the other 11 doughnuts in the box?
shhh.gif

T-Bone, anytime you are up here, give me a call, and we won't even need to bother Moosie, we'll just go hunting without him, as I know how busy he can be with work....
shhh.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back