Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Perseids meteor shower

SD_Prairie_Goat

Supposed to be a good showing this weekend. Peak over this weekend is supposed to be 100 meteors an hour or so.

Thinking of going out to the badlands to do some star gazing. Little moon activity will help as well.

Going to test out the gopro scope cam attachment and see how the night sky looks through the spotting scope.

Long winded, but if you're not busy this weekend, look up should be a good show!

Perfect! We'd already planned to take some guests into the Yellowstone backcountry this weekend. Ought to have a nice show!

Realistically we had a good one every ten or so minutes last night, but it was still a good show. I fell asleep outside the tent watching them after a good day of hiking, trout fishing, and wine drinking.
Jealous! I was in clouds the whole time. Saw half a dozen on Friday night between clouds. What can you do when the weather doesn't cooperate?

Jealous! I was in clouds the whole time. Saw half a dozen on Friday night between clouds. What can you do when the weather doesn't cooperate?
Are you having clouds today? Might be worth taking a drive and seeing if anything is around tonight?

I missed the peak of a meteor shower a few years back but still caught a few just taking a short drive out of town to a relatively dark place at a local trailhead parking lot. Let my eyes adjust for about 20 minutes and started seeing them.

Oh, and thanks for the heads up posting on here @SD_Prairie_Goat - I’d have probably been oblivious otherwise.
Happy to help! And actually the rain cleared up so I was gonna stay up late and see if there's still a few raining down. My town is fairly dark but I might drive to the state park for a darker sky. I wish I was closer to the badlands for stuff like this

I was out fishing after dark and caught a couple.
When I was maybe 7 or so my dad knew there was a meteor shower and we were going duck hunting in the morning, so my dad got me and my brother up a little earlier and grabbed a big sleeping bag for us and we sat out and watched them before shooting time. I remember being in awe of how many we were seeing.

I was out walking the dog late last night and looked up into the sky to see a perfect line of 22 bright objects moving thru the sky. Google informed me it was Elon’s Starlink “meteor shower”, not Perseids… 🤷‍♂️

Checked it out on Saturday night here in ‘Berta, drive a bit out of Calgary and found a good spot on a range road. Saw about 50 in an hour and half. Such a cool experience

Only caught 2 on Saturday night. One small one big. After that clouds, then thick smoke from the wildfires, rolled in and haven’t seen the sky since.

Back