NEW SITKA Ambient 75

People of the West: Your Days are Numbered

dgibson

Think you've got it good out there in the wide-open west, Big Sky country, where the deer and the antelope play and the skies are not cloudy all day?

Think again:
Washington-AP -- Retirees seem to be looking for open space and affordable housing.

That's according to new Census Bureau data which finds states like Nevada, Colorado, Idaho, Utah and New Mexico had the fastest-growing senior populations between 2000 and 2003.

Nevada's retiree population increased the most, 15 percent, with Alaska second at 14 percent.

One think-tank expert says much of the growth may be due to the congestion and high housing costs in California. That state's retirees are moving to more affordable and more expansive destinations.

The data also reveals an eleven-percent increase nationwide in the number of Americans 85 and older. There are four-point-seven (m) million people in that age category.
Alas, in 100 years the west will be just like good old Kentucky...considered "rural," but you'll be unable to hike more than a mile or so without hitting another road. The thousands of acres you enjoy now will soon be divided into ranchettes, subdivisions, and superfarms. You'll be unable to go anywhere without hearing the sound of cars passing on a nearby highway; you'll be unable to look at the night sky without seeing the glow of city lights nearby. And you'll probably have some sumbitch neighbor with 4 cats that love to kill birds and leave them on your porch. :mad: Oh, sorry, I lapsed back into MY private hell. ;)

We've already started to see "their" influence here. The incoming "retreadese" are now the majority vote on local issues, and have influenced the closure of the local youth centers, reconstruction of the playgrounds into aesthetic lawns and sitting parks. Currently the youth in our community has few options for recreation, short of hunting, fishing, or ATV riding.... Also on the rise is the number of child molestations....

dg, Yup. That's why I fight so hard to protect and enhance our public land. If I had my way we'd have even more public land in Idaho than we do now. And now it's about 70% of the state. I want to cram all those people that are coming out West into closely packed condos built right on top of each other ten stories high.

Here's todays article in the local news rag:

"Boise sprawls the most in the Pacific Northwest"

".....Sprawl is a dirty word to local leaders and others involved with growth issues, but the analysis Northwest Environment Watch of Seattle released today is based on a simple premise: the fewer people living on an acre of land, the more likely a city faces increasing traffic, limited funding for new services, air pollution and loss of farm land — topics familiar to Treasure Valley residents......"

http://www.idahostatesman.com/News/story.asp?ID=62892

Well that's really no surprise, but it doesn't sound good. I am considering the Boise area for retirement in 20 years, but by that time it may not be quite as appealing as it is now. In 2024, I'm thinking North Dakota might be the place to be. :eek:

How do you feel about a setup like Portland's? I don't know all the facts, but they did something along the lines of setting a boundary around the city. Anything inside the boundary development-wise is OK; anything outside of it is DENIED or at least has to follow some sort of strict rules. That sounds like a good idea on the surface, but I bet after a while that housing costs will skyrocket (witness NYC). Then you have to have rent caps and all that rot to keep things sane. :confused:

North Dakota IS the place to be ;)

Although we are having our share of problems too, Damn minnesota is suing us now over our waterfowl regs. RIDICULOUS!

No offense, but soties are just as bad as Utards.

dgibson, Washington state has the same type of thing you're talking about that Portland is doing. It's called the Growth Management Act. There are certain growth boundaries set around cities, and development outside of that boundary is discouraged. I think it's a good thing, but of course many people don't. In fact, I believe one or more counties tried suing the state over it. I think they lost.

Warmer climate? That is for the softies. Learn to ice fish, you will stay plenty warm in an ice house with a propane heater and bottle of the cheapest rum you can find.

Winter is my favorite season up here. Late season geese along the missouri, wary roosters in the snowy crp, and ice fishing for perch, crappie and walleye make the days go by fast.

Plus we have over the counter archery tags for deer, a tag is good for any animal (muley or whitey). We aren't world renowned, but there are some good deer in the badlands and missouri breaks and great antelope hunting the southwest corner of the state.

Warmer climate? That is for the softies. Learn to ice fish, you will stay plenty warm in an ice house with a propane heater and bottle of the cheapest rum you can find.

Winter is my favorite season up here. Late season geese along the missouri, wary roosters in the snowy crp, and ice fishing for perch, crappie and walleye make the days go by fast.

Plus we have over the counter archery tags for deer, a tag is good for any animal (muley or whitey). We aren't world renowned, but there are some good deer in the badlands and missouri breaks and great antelope hunting the southwest corner of the state.

smalls: shhhhh!!!
shhh.gif
shhh.gif

Don't be giving anybody ideas!

It's never going to be like it was ever! However, in many aspects this may be the best hunter's have ever had it. Though tags are harder to get and more expensive, I'm not sure but I'd think that the % of the income required to hunt is less now than in the past. Plus, travel is proportionally cheaper. If the draws are good to me I plan on hunting big game in at least 3 states and possibly as many as 5! :D

Just too many people. The 'Greatest Generation' was a pretty horny bunch! ;) But hey, let's keep giving incentives to have more children. :rolleyes: I think there's a few states going through negative population growth, but not that many and not enough!

1 pointer, The government will NEVER get rid of the child tax credit and all the other incentives for having children. Apparently our government sees growth as a positive, instead of a negative thing. And besides that, we let people from all the other over-populated countries come over here, and make us even more crowded. 1 Pointer, you need to run for president when you're old enough, and I don't care if you inhaled! :D

Tell you boys; I'm glad I'll be checking out and there ain't no reincarnation! :D (Too bad for the coming generations though. Last man standing needs to save a few seeds maybe!) :eek:

I think the tax credits will go away, society is just not ready for it yet. Too many of the baby boomers hanging around and some are still having kids. Even the good 'ol US of A will reach a saturation point of people and have to do something about it. Technology has kept us afloat for the last generation or two, but I feel that there is a ceiling to how much is possible. Once that's reached people will have to decide if they are willing to sacrifice their quality of life for quantity of life of others. This may be the where the good portion of selfishness comes into play. Not too many are willing to give up what they have or take less so someone else can have some. The biggest problem now is that too many are ignorant to the impacts of having litters instead of families.

I wouldn't be surprised if tax credits never go away. Not because we won't reach that saturation point, but because no politician is going to be the one to suggest it or try to get it passed. It would be political suicide.

As proof of my statement, look to the number of people who constantly beotch about how Bush shouldn't be cutting taxes, and then look at how many actually turned down their refund check when it came in the mail. There's a big difference between paying an issue lip service and being willing to pay for it.

Just a note AZ has the fastest growing number of children age 5 and under[ mostly fueled by people "moving" here from mexico] according to the latest population studies. wonder why AZ wasn`t mentioned in that retirement thread.

Back