Pentax 10x50 DCF SP's

T Bone

Pentax DCF SP 10x50 are ordered. They should be here in a week.............

are they here yet?

[ 04-02-2004, 22:03: Message edited by: T Bone ]

I love 'em! I went out this afternoon to call in a coyote and forgot about calling after spotting some deer. I ended up glassing some deer, antelope and a skinny old wild horse that is on his way out.

Makes me wonder if my sheep hunt would have turned out different had I had them???

T-Bone-
Lucky bastard.
I e-mailed John Barsness (my optics swami), telling him I was thinking about the Eagle Optics Ranger, as well as the Swarovski's. His suggestions were either the Nikon Premiers or the Pentax DCP SP's. Went to the store the other day and tried them out- Holy Crap. He's right- I can't see an advantage to spending the big bucks on the Swarovski's when the Pentax are AT LEAST as good.
Cam

Always buy the best optics you can afford...

You'll NEVER regret $$$ spent on quality optics...

I bought a pair of Pentax 8x42 DCFs in '88 and used them until they sprung a leak in Alaska in '99... For the money I spent on them ( around $225 I think) they were a pretty fair glass...

Due to a fortunate $$$ windfall at about that time, I replaced them with a pair of Leicas, and they should be the last pair of binoculars I'll ever buy..

They're wonderful, and if ANYTHING other than loss or theft ever happens to them, Leica will replace them free of charge...

That includes dropping them off a cliff, running over them with the truck, or having some moron mistake me for a deer and shoot at me, hitting my binoculars and smashing them... :D .....

All that said, I certainly do not want to sound like an optics SNOB...Many of us cannot justify spending $1000 or more for binoculars...I must admit I probably would never done it myself if I hadn't lucked into some "mad money" precisely at the same time that I was in the market for a new pair of binocs... It is my understand that newly developed products by such manufacturers as Pentax and Nikon are EXCELLENT, and are significantly less expensive than the big names like Leica, Swaro and Zeiss....

My wife just ordered a new pair of Nikon 8 x 32s for her birdwatching, and I'm looking forward to checking them out when they arrive today or tomorrow...

I have a pair of Pentax DCF 8x42. They fit great into my hands, easy to focus, and are crisp from sunup to sundown. I have never used a pair of swaros or leicas during twighlight, but I can't imagine it gets a whole lot better than my pentax.

Also, wouldn't you all agree that the bino-buddy system is one of the greatest hunting gadgets you own!

I have a pair of Pentax 8X32.

While elk hunting, I tried them side by side with Swaro EL's used by the guide and then decided to leave my Pentax at camp as a door stop.

There is no comparison between Pentax and Swaros. Don't fool yourself. My next bino's will be Swaro's no matter how long I have to wait to afford them.

Toonces, don't buy thoses Swros and then look through the new Leica Ultravids, you might just own two doorstops. ( just kidding )
I gess it depends on what you use binoculars for. If you hunt very open country, and spend five + hours a day on the glass, great binoculars are a good investment. If you hunt a lot of timber, and use your binoculars a few minutes at a time, a hundred dollar set will do 99% of what you need.
The Pentex/Nikon/Windriver Ect...binoculars in the $250 to $500 range have about 90% to 95% of the clairty and light gathering ability of the high end stuff, and you don't cry if they do get stolen.
I really like the high end optics, but if you put an eye chart out there at dusk and try to read the fine print, those Swarovskis will only get you about ten yards over the Pentex.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back