Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Pennsylvania Elk

PABowhunter1969

Interesting video of the reintroduction of elk in Pennsylvania. Though you all might enjoy.

[video=youtube_share;cmjZWg39QCA]https://youtu.be/cmjZWg39QCA[/video]

Awesome video! Hopefully I get to cash in on my 8 points this year and take a big Pennsylvania bull!

Pennsylvania elk video

great history lesson on elk in Pennsylvania, i didn't even know Pennsylvania had elk, im amazed that back in the day with the limited technology they had how man could so quickly devastate and lay to waste such large portions of our country, and how a few men saw past themselves to look to the future long after they would die to step in and try to establish change for the better and how other people have followed there lead over the past decades to continue there work and pay it forward so to speak for future generations , good video , thoroughly enjoyed

. . . im amazed that back in the day with the limited technology they had how man could so quickly devastate and lay to waste such large portions of our country, . . .

I had an eye-opening experience back in the 80s when I was guiding elk hunts in the Selway- Bitterroot. I always thought that country was relatively virgin. The father of the man I worked for was old, and he'd been in that country since the early 1900s. He told me about homesteads all over, roads, telephone lines, little settlements, etc.

I think Indians were thick on this land before our disease lead the way in, then we got thick and killed most everything, and then people started migrating to the cities, then wilderness came along and pups like me thought the land was always sparse on people.

Not.

Point being, repeating Winchesters, nets, explosives, poison, dogs, automobiles, airplanes and people who don't wear watches can get a lot of breeding and killing done in short order, denude an area and move on. Throw market hunting in and It's all over. It's a big country, but it ain't that big. It's amazing there is anything left.

I thought Deer Hunter was a fun movie but always wished they'd been more accurate about that Pennsylvania country and used an elk instead of that non-native thing they were after.

Last edited:
i was born in oregon but family moved to alaska when i was 5 growing up hunting and fishing that state gave me a different view of the world, as a young teen in the 80's getting to fly in hunt with dad and being 300 miles from anywhere civilized gave me an unrealistic view of what the rest of the world and hunting was like. the family is back in oregon for 3 decades now , as a kid i never knew just how special i had it or even realized what the lower 48 was like. when i got back to oregon at 19 i went to the woods and it hit me DAMN there aint no woods that arnt covered with roads. just started hunting again in 2013, after a 30 plus year hiatus. its good to be back in the woods :)

i was born in oregon but family moved to alaska when i was 5 growing up hunting and fishing that state gave me a different view of the world, as a young teen in the 80's getting to fly in hunt with dad and being 300 miles from anywhere civilized gave me an unrealistic view of what the rest of the world and hunting was like. the family is back in oregon for 3 decades now , as a kid i never knew just how special i had it or even realized what the lower 48 was like. when i got back to oregon at 19 i went to the woods and it hit me DAMN there aint no woods that arnt covered with roads. just started hunting again in 2013, after a 30 plus year hiatus. its good to be back in the woods :)

Yep, that would do it. You are lucky in that regard.

I believe this will be year 14 for me. I generally put in for either sex and any unit. No love yet. I'll be putting my 14 yr old daughter in this year for the first time. She's lucky enough to draw.

Yeah. I put in every yr since it started. Max points
Not holding my breath

Well can't believe this and my post above!!

I drew PA Bull Tag yesterday.. Dream tag

Now lots of scouting and homework..

I will be trying DIY with my bow to start..

Congratulations on the tag, I'll be checking soon on my wife and I either sex application. Guessing no go again but someone has to get it. Good luck on your bull tag.

Goat

Just watched the video of the drawing. I've been in for either sex, since the first year. Still nothing for me.

JDF congrats. I was up at the elk expo in benezett. What unit did you draw? If you need any help let me know! Not the best caller still working on it but very good at packing out. Had a lot of experience out west so be a litter easier here haha

Last edited:
Yeah, I checked my tag app today. It's still showing as 'pending', but also shows I now have 3 points. It was 2. Guess that sez it all.
Looks like a WY cow hunt next year for me.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back