Caribou Gear

Passing it On! Grandson's first elk

LuckyMike

My grandson Dylan, starting center on the Helena High Bengals, got one benefit from the loss to Capital High Bruins in the semi-finals of the Montana State championships. He gained an extra week to hunt elk. On sunday afternoon (evening) before Thanksgiving Dylan, his father Tyler (my son) and I spent some time together hunting his elk. Just before dark we spotted a lone bull. After some dicussion of the plan of attack for the next morning we headed home. The next morning the two of them went up the mountain in the dark and played the wind just right which resulted in stalking within 50-yards of two bulls sparring with their antlers together. Dylan made a perfect heart shot and had his first elk down. Grandpa Mike got a call about 8:00 am to bring the cart and a sled. They would drag the elk halves off the steep part of the mountain and I would meet them a little over a mile from the truck. This particular successful elk hunt has meant the world to me. I didn't think anything would ever top the morning when my son Tyler shot his first elk back in 1985. But this is even more meaningful to me, seeing my son assisting his 18-year old son with the taking of his first elk. Here are a few pictures from this memorable outing involving three generations of the Trevor family.

Attachments

• DSC00227ht.jpg
    DSC00227ht.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 595
  • IMG_2487ht.jpg
    IMG_2487ht.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 591
  • IMG_2488ht.jpg
    IMG_2488ht.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 701
  • DSC00234ht.jpg
    DSC00234ht.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 675
  • DSC00232ht.jpg
    DSC00232ht.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 617
Great photos, Mike and congrats to your grandson.

As a grad of Capital, I got the benefit of the win too. As the father of a Helena High junior, not so much!

Chris Peccia

He looks very proud of that first elk, that should help ease the pains from the football field. Congrats to all involved and thanks for sharing those great photos.

Way cool, Mike.

I remember my son's first animal. A whitetail doe. I was jumping and screaming. He was looking at me like someone had lit me on fire.

Such special moments. That is what makes hunting such a cool family experience. Thanks for sharing with us.

Thanks, everyone for the nice feedback.
Dinkshooter - The cart was made and sold by an outfit called Pac'Orse out of Kent, WA. It's been a great cart with the added convenience of folding up and fitting in a very managable carrying case and weighs only 40-pounds. I've been using this one for over 20-years. Trouble is, I'm not sure the Pac'Orse people are in business anymore.

Way to go guys. It sounds like you really do understand how lucky you are to get a share that with your son and grandson that's just awesome.

Congrats to you and your grandson. You guys that take that much of the elk out are way tougher than me. I'd have whittled on him a bit more.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back