MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Park runs to get you hunt fit!

devon deer

It looks like these have yet to take off in the US, there are a few, but not many, as an example, this was in Colorado on Saturday https://www.parkrun.us/southbouldercreek/results/latestresults/ only 56 runners
Compared to the one I do on a fairly regular basis 454 runners, my position was 160th
They are very addictive, and after each run they email you all the stats.
I combined this with hiking and it really does help you get hunt fit.
I have plateaued a bit, but I think with some more training I should get below 24 minutes soon.
Give it a go if you can.
Not sure when this was taken of me, but I'm the old fart in the blue shirt out front Cheers
Richard

Last edited:
Running doesn't make you "hunt Fit".
Only hiking with wieght at elevation can do that.
--The Voice of Experience--
Running is good for cardiovascular ...and tearing up
your knees.Once again--The Voice of Experience-- 😎

Running doesn't make you "hunt Fit".
Only hiking with wieght at elevation can do that.
--The Voice of Experience--
Running is good for cardiovascular ...and tearing up
your knees.Once again--The Voice of Experience-- 😎
Read it again, I said combined with hiking, what works for me, might not work for you, I know some substitute running with swimming, if you can only do one, its better than doing nothing, a quick way to get injured (especially knee's) is too heavy a pack walking down hill without hiking poles.
I have no elevation where I live (well 1000'!) so running helps with my recovery.
So when I hunt at high elevation I know I will get my breath back quicker, and lower my heart rate, and not miss the bull elk.:p
Cheers
Richard

Good work Richard, that’s a great time!

I do park runs most Saturday’s here in Wellington New Zealand, when I’m not running elsewhere or hunting. They are pretty popular here. Great distance and actually a cool social event too.

Have you tried longer trail runs? They are also popular here.

Last edited:
well done Richard, I was never a "runner" but respected those who did so. As you suggested, I swam a bit but never in any race.

You mentioned 160 th, that is ahead of approx 300 who were in the race, congratulations .

How did you do the year with Red Deer hunts ? I think that season just ended--but, Roe deer is just starting for you, I think.--Best of Luck and again very nicely done on your park runs

Good work Richard, that’s a great time!

I do park runs most Saturday’s here in Wellington New Zealand, when I’m not running elsewhere or hunting. They are pretty popular here. Great distance and actually a cool social event too.

Have you tried longer trail runs? They are also popular here.
Thanks, so what name am I looking for in your park run?
pm if you like.
I am pretty well addicted to them like you, it doesn't surprise me they are popular in NZ, you do love your sports, and you're pretty good at rugby!

I do trail runs with my club, once or twice a week, around 6 miles each time, but I need to start building in some sessions to better my 5k time.

Cheers

Richard

Way to go! Below 24 for 5k is moving. Been a decade since I was there. Back around 25 for 3 miles race pace.

Running may not be a substitute for hiking at elevation but I can’t see how someone is not better with cardiovascular fitness than without it. Hiking with a pack hurts my knees more than running. It’s all about appropriate weekly miles, pace, and rest.

I’m doing weekly hill repeats this year to train for a hunt and will hike with a pack a few times per month. Elevation training isn’t practical for my geography and schedule so do what I can do.

Last edited:
If anyone wants some assistance getting fit at altitude, I have to pour a foundation and build my cabin this summer near Granite Colorado at about 10500 feet. Anyone wanting a personal trainer in the form of manual labor contact me, and I won't even charge you...lol! :)

Here are results from my last park run - Campbell Black

Haven’t been for a month as been away hunting and running. But back at it this Saturday as training for a 10km race.

Occasionally I try and beat my record but mostly run with my 11yo son.

Here are results from my last park run - Campbell Black

Haven’t been for a month as been away hunting and running. But back at it this Saturday as training for a 10km race.

Occasionally I try and beat my record but mostly run with my 11yo son.
Nice one mate.
There are a few kids the same age as your son, they pass me sometimes, makes me feel really old!
Good luck in the 10k
Cheers
Richard

Have a great park run tomorrow Richard. I got my PB today at 21.17, so happy with that!
Wow!
Congrats, that is a great time, you were really shifting.
Sadly I doubt I will ever get my time down to that level, in fact I wasn't really 'feeling' it this morning and only managed 25.43, hopefully I will do better next week!
I need to up my game, I have a race in a months time!
Cheers
Richard

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back