PEAX Equipment

Parasite on a ducks nose

JShane

20201121_154946.jpg

The day I shot these birds I noticed a small parasite on the bill of the drake redhead. In the picture its on the bottom edge of his left nostril. Curiosity got the best of me so I reached out to an area waterfowl biologist and sent him this photo.

The short of it is he and his colleagues concluded it is a Nasal Leech that does affect ducks and other water oriented birds. The link he sent on the parasite was informative and extremely helpful. Theres no concern with consuming the birds or cross contamination to humans.

Just thought I'd share something new I learned

Thanks. I have never encountered nasal leech. Interesting. I'll have to some more research.

I'm mostly envious that you got a drake redhead, but yes, that's quite interesting.

QQ
There's a big dead lake near me where they like to hang out. They're my favorite table duck in the area. Don't if it's just the body of water or what.
I haven't been out there in a while, it's kind of a dangerous lake.

Congrats on a beautiful Red Head Drake! In the 20 years I’ve lived in Idaho, I’ve only shot 2 drakes, but mostly by choice. I was lucky enough to get a banded Red Head hen banded up in @Hunting Wife neck of the woods.
Matt
Good chance I banded it then 😁 We did more then half of the flyway’s redhead bands most years.

Very cool. No bands for me as of yet. The last 3 years I've averaged 2 to 3 drake redheads a year. Certain years down here on the gulf coast redheads come in thick and its worth the trip just to get an all drake limit on those.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back