Paper Map Advantages?

I like large topo maps for trip planning as I “see” the area differently/better than google earth pro on my laptop screen.

I then draw/color my own maps on copy paper, sometimes having several sheets if it’s a multi-day trip or I’m traveling over a large area. I’ve been doing this since I was 12, and it’s such an ingrained habit I doubt I’ll ever change it. Best purpose for me is drawing thermals, prevailing winds, alternative winds, and approach paths based on these and time of day.

I use OnX on my phone about 1/10 as much as my hand drawn maps. Very useful for waypoints and property lines.

Imagine if you had 2 plotters and an Enterprise GIS license at your disposal...

From the perspective of a professional land surveyor, I offer this: I have better, more precise navigation equipment than most of you would ever consider owning, as it costs tens of thousands of dollars and can get readings to within less than a cm in the right conditions. It will fail, whether the batteries die, solar flares or a solar storm (which can last for hours, days, or a couple of weeks) kills the signal, or the military messes with the signal, which happened 3 weeks ago, rendering mine useless. A map will never let you down, as long as you can tell direction (which every outdoorsman needs to be able to do) and have some basic landmarks. So take it as a backup if you are out in the backcountry or any place you're not very familiar with. If you don't need it, like Ben said, you can always start an emergency fire with it! Lol
Agreed

I do but I don't have ink for the plotter that will withstand the rigors of water and wear.....sigh, so close yet so far away!
Mine have survived pretty well for the most part. I though about using photo paper... but haven't seen a need yet.

getting lost in colorado could take some skill, so i don't worry much about having back up paper maps - basically go down drainage wherver you are and you'll hit a road in, at the very very most, 10-15 miles. usually more like 5

easier to get lost in the weminuche perhaps

that said, while i don't worry about having a paper map, i pretty much always have one of those nat geo maps for wherever i'm backpacking. habit i guess.

I very rarely carry paper maps for the mountains, it's probably been a few years. I'm not opposed to it, just haven't had the need recently. Driving around in BLM country I like to have them.

Used to carry maps of the area traversing though I've not the past couple years.
Now, when not solo, it's useful at the vehicle to give us an overview for camp location, hunt grids, and vehicle location. From there, OnX takes over.

Portable rechargers and off grid OnX have more or less eliminated my interest in paper maps - in the field.

Griz hammers me and wonders off with my phone (humor though - knock on wood), well... Welcome InReach unless I'm able to manage myself back to the truck.

I like USGS maps and/or you can order aerial or satellite. Hunting the Southwest it is all about the water. When the game gets pushed off the obvious water where does it go? The answer is simple, the unobvious water. USGS maps in the right format show all the water, seasonal and/or reliable, tiny seeps etc. Hunting the out of the way tiny seeps or puddles of water I could almost always be successful. The aerials are good for spotting likely vegetation in draws or canyons.

The phone apps are good for navigation but maybe it is just me, I've found few that show the detail of a good USGS map in a way that works for me. On a good map, you can get a wide view then focus tunnel vision on a specific spot (I even carry a small magnifying glass), changing perspective quickly seems to work for me and helps my overview. When you use a phone and magnify you have to remember the overview, on a map, it is right there. I find magnifying then panning out and then magnifying on a phone multiple times disorienting. Maybe it is just me I've been using maps for 60 some years and a phone or tablet for maybe a third of that.

Amen to what most have said here paper is a must ,But I did think I was almost alone in this being an old fart in a high tech world

My profession has made me very comfortable navigating with a map and compass, so that might color my opinion.

I always have a paper map and compass but often leave the GPS/smartphone at home to save weight. The map and compass weigh less than a GPS or smartphone.
I also find it easier to see the "big picture" on a paper map than on a small screen.

I love paper maps, to see the big picture of an area, the reliability, and the ease of use. I was on a hunt with a bunch of backcountry gurus one time, I had my old school army style map I made from goggle earth and scotch tape, they had OnX. I teased them because before they could get their OnX pulled up I was showing them on the map where we were. What I didn't tell them is that I carried anxiety until the next landmark that confirmed I was right. Later I admitted, when they were teasing me, respectfully, that though I was quicker and totally accurate, their OnX saved them a lot of anxiety. I subscribed to OnX when I got home!

Paper maps don't need batteries...ever! I know I'm part of the problem, but in today's world we all rely to heavily on our cell phones and apps. Which is fine, because let's face it, it works 99% of the time. Let's face it, it's way too easy to just google it on on phones. I still like a map though and a compass.

As an X military land nav school trained infantry soldier I never leave for the field without a map and compass. I learned to navigate some of the nastiest field conditions in the jungles of Panama, Hawaii and some other areas of the world where it is extremely difficult to see land features. I trust my pace count and have confidence in navigating at night if necessary. Purely by habit I still count paces in the field and sometimes catch myself doing it as it is not necessary for general navigation purposes but its old habit. GPS's are amazing and the new software navigation apps such as On x and Basemap are pretty awesome as everything is at your fingertips but technology is technology. As a society we know how dependent we have become on technology and when it fails it's typically at the worst time and can be disastrous. Throwing a map and compass in a pack literally is one of the simplest things you can do, adds literally zero weight and just seems like a no brainer as a backup. Shit happens! Maybe it's the old man in me but I still refuse to head out without a map and compass. :unsure:

I carried a paper map in 2018 that my family had marked up over the years of hunting the area with wallows and kill sites. Once I got close to the area and figured out where I was on the paper map I walked to check a wallow and shot a cow elk that was coming into it at 2 PM. I hope that I inherit that map someday.

I carried a paper map in 2018 that my family had marked up over the years of hunting the area with wallows and kill sites. Once I got close to the area and figured out where I was on the paper map I walked to check a wallow and shot a cow elk that was coming into it at 2 PM. I hope that I inherit that map someday.
Yes as I was reading this I’m thinking “Hey might want to scan that bad boy”. I have access to large scale scanners at work so just send it over and I’ll make a copy for you... ;)

I have found paper maps to be most useful when trying to discuss or plan out hunting strategies with other people. Paper maps are dramatically better at this than a small digital screen.

I can't recall anytime I have ever actually needed a paper map in the field when I was by myself.

I always have paper maps with me for the reasons many others have said. This year I’ve started using Rugged Maos and like them a lot. They’re big and great for changing the plan during a hunt.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back