Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Packraft for waterfowling?

David Gough

Has anyone used a packraft (have my eyes on Alpacka Raft) for waterfowl hunting? Will be hunting mostly marsh habitat, but a watercraft may also expand my hunting areas.

The transport and portability, vs a kayak, is a big upside for me. I will also use it for hunting (crossing rivers) and fishing from time to time.

Please share your experience if you're so inclined.

I have an Alpacka Raft forager, used a bunch of their other boats as well.

Haven’t gone out yet in mine for waterfowl, but definitely something I’m looking to do at some point.

I have an Alpacka Raft forager, used a bunch of their other boats as well.

Haven’t gone out yet in mine for waterfowl, but definitely something I’m looking to do at some point.
How does the Forager handle with one person? Looks like some decent room for decoys, although I may tow a sled behind the packraft depending on how much gear I'm taking.

How does the Forager handle with one person? Looks like some decent room for decoys, although I may tow a sled behind the packraft depending on how much gear I'm taking.
It handles fine, it's nice if there is some weight in the front. I definitely prefer using a kayak paddle over a canoe paddle... it's a super light boat and doesn't have a keel so it doesn't really track.

Personally with the forager I like to sit on the back to paddle, rather than in the boat. This leaves a ton of room... but lots of room if you sit in it as well. Definitely capable of hauling a ton of decoys. The boats are dog proof as well, just FYI.

Check out Alpackaraft_hunt on insta there are a bunch of folks using them for waterfowl.

Last edited:
Have you taken that thing to AK? We're looking in to those for our hunt up there this year...
My buddy has one and so do my in-laws so I haven't flown my boat up yet, certainly used them though...

Colorado

It handles fine, it's nice if there is some weight in the front. I definitely prefer using a kayak paddle over a canoe paddle... it's a super light boat and doesn't have a keel so it doesn't really track.

Personally with the forager I like to sit on the back to paddle, rather than in the boat. This leaves a ton of room... but lots of room if you sit in it as well. Definitely capable of hauling a ton of decoys. The boats are dog proof as well, just FYI.

Check out Alpackaraft_hunt on insta there are a bunch of folks using them for waterfowl.
Thanks! Definitely has me leaning to buying sooner than later. Any accessories you would recommend?

@David Gough I'd also buy an electric air pump and an inverter for your car, or a big raft pump. The blow bag works fine in the field but it's slower than you want to deal with most of the time for the forager. For the smaller rafts they are super fast.

This is sitting inside the boat.
1655313562237.png
1655313590202.png

@David Gough I'd also buy an electric air pump and an inverter for your car, or a big raft pump. The blow bag works fine in the field but it's slower than you want to deal with most of the time for the forager. For the smaller rafts they are super fast.
I was looking at Alpacka's pack-a-pump but electric would be nice too

I was looking at Alpacka's pack-a-pump but electric would be nice too
Yeah I have a cheap amazon one and it will fill it in less than a min.

Also if your thinking of shooting from the boat, it is big enough to lay inside (I'm 6').

I might also consider taking the inflatable floor out, (it zips out) the floor is self bailing and so this creates a pool of like ~6 inches of water in the bottom which makes the boat way less squirrely. Definitely creates drag when you are paddling, but as far as shooting it makes it more stable.

Yeah I have a cheap amazon one and it will fill it in less than a min.

Also if your thinking of shooting from the boat, it is big enough to lay inside (I'm 6').

I might also consider taking the inflatable floor out, (it zips out) the floor is self bailing and so this creates a pool of like ~6 inches of water in the bottom which makes the boat way less squirrely. Definitely creates drag when you are paddling, but as far as shooting it makes it more stable.
All good to know. Appreciate it. I would need to hide the hell of it to use as a layout boat. Was thinking it would be a better way to move around some of the places I hunt that trudging through the mud and burning up my legs.

All good to know. Appreciate it. I would need to hide the hell of it to use as a layout boat. Was thinking it would be a better way to move around some of the places I hunt that trudging through the mud and burning up my legs.
Bro Kuiu Verde... basically invisible. ;)

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back