pack for caribou hunt

timberman56

needing a external frame pack for AK caribou hunt but can't spend $$$ for top of line pack for maybe one-time deal. A friend recommended an Army ALICE pack. wondering if anyone here has used one or could give a novice some backpack advice for unguided drop camp, main use would be packing out a 'bou.

There are lots of inexpensive options out there... I wouldn't recomend an ALICE pack, but for a one time deal, I'm sure it would work just fine.

Where are you hunting and what type of hunt? Fly in or float?

A caribou isn't that big, two trips with bone in or one boned out and you're tough...

fly in drop camp n.e. of Kotzebue . have to pack out meat with bone-in , also ribs. understand we can eat all our ribs at camp and not have to worry about flying them back.

If you really think you'll never need a better pack and you'll only use it to pack the animals out, something like the Kelty Cache Hauler (frame only) would probably work fine (about $100).

Sounds likea fun hunt. Who are you flying with?

Seems like the biggest hurdle in Kotz is what to do with the meat once you get back to town.

I can't imagine walking very far after a caribou in that country unless you're hunting in the 'hills', even then the tusoks and tundra make for some serrious cussing tirades. ;)

I was looking at cheap frame packs at Sportsmans the other day, I think they had a $90 price tag on them and looked like it would work just fine. Most any pack out there will work in a pinch. The more expensive packs are an investment in comfort and durability. The cheaper packs usually lack both, but still function. I would definatly go with an external frame if you're going cheap. The cheap internals just can't handle the weight.

Here's the pack I used last year. Nothing fancy, new or even comfortable, but as mentioned above you probably won't need to pack very long distances. I did 2 trips of about a half mile or so.

This was a spur of the moment trip and I was told to just bring my bow, clothes and daypack. My buddy in AK supplied the rest of the gear including the packs. The old time pack worked just fine.

I imagine you could find something similar for next to nothing at a second hand store of garage sale.

I hope you enjoy the hunt as much as I did and I hope you get a chance to pack some caribou.

Attachments

• DSCN9443.jpg
    DSCN9443.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 2,322
I had a cheaper frame pack and hated it. It was a Cabelas Alaskan. The belt dug into me, it made all sorts of noise and was cheaply made. Still trying to justify the expense of a MR Crew Cab but it doesnt look in the budget. I can justify a Eberlestock V69 Destroyer for about $350.00 though. It is not external but can handle a lot of weight, packs down and is quiet. With the quality of some of the internal frames today, it would be hard to consider the old external frames again especially if you ever want to use the pack for anything else. Again, my first choice would be between the Timberline from Kifaru or the Crew Cab from MR, which ever fits better. On a small budget the Destroyer or if need be, the X2 from Eberlestock will all handle a load better then that dang cheap external frame I had.

frame pack 4 caribou

bambi: flying w/ Ram Aviation out of Kotz.; plan on donating most of meat; will check out packs @ sportsman; had a backstrap steak and bud last night and "life was goood!"\\ Dexnrex: nice bou, what area did you hunt; what brand pants and jacket. \\\ Strut; thanks for reply

Timber, we hunted the Fortymile herd northeast of Fairbanks. Pants and coat are Sitka 90%.

On a side note about gear for hunting in Alaska, I have hunted up there twice in the last 3 years, both times with locals, once for moose, once for caribou. I found that local, longtime AK folks don't seem to be as hung up on gear as many of us in the 48 seem to be. They get it done with what they have. The exception being quality tents and quality rain gear. Make sure you have what you need to be safe in all weather conditions and don't sweat the details.

I understand the plan to donate the meat, but if you can swing it, bring it home. I froze the boned meat and brought it back on Alaska Airlines in 3 medium sized cooler for about $75. It was no hassle and well worth it. I made spaghetti sauce last evening with caribou burger. Relived the whole hunt in my mind as made my family supper.

I agree with bringing as much meat home as you can. If you fly Alaska airlines, you can check boxes weighing up to 50lbs each for $40, thats after your other two checked bags. You could get a cut and wrapped bou in two of those pretty easy.

Also, I've packed a lot of elk and several Moose on a Cabela's Alaskan frame with good results. Did I think the whole world was made out of rainbows and unicorns at the end of a packing session, no. But it got the job done.

I agree with bringing as much meat home as you can. If you fly Alaska airlines, you can check boxes weighing up to 50lbs each for $40, thats after your other two checked bags. You could get a cut and wrapped bou in two of those pretty easy.

There is no cold storage in Kotz and no butcher. The meat makes it back to the airport and sits on pallets unless you have something pre-arranged and have it ready to fly back to Anch or a bigger town. I think a few of the transporters/outfitters have cold storage set up, but for the most part its an OYOA. :D

There is no cold storage in Kotz and no butcher. The meat makes it back to the airport and sits on pallets unless you have something pre-arranged and have it ready to fly back to Anch or a bigger town. I think a few of the transporters/outfitters have cold storage set up, but for the most part its an OYOA. :D

Bambi, thanks for the tip about Kotz, never really considered the lack of cold storage, and I've never hunted out of Kotz. I've been very lucky in that I just need to get my meat/fish to one of several different ralatives houses in Wasilla and I can cut and freeze it there. Sometimes I forget not everyone has that option.

Back to the original topic, the ALICE pack frame has been used to haul a lot of stuff. I used one to haul granite landscape rocks out of a borrow pit. It was a short distance, but a heavy load. The ALICE pack frames are inexpensive, but not really comfortable with the original straps and belt. Some of them have been modified by using the MOLLE shoulder straps and waist belt. I have a fourth generation MOLLE pack frame with the large ruck sack and I think that it is far more comfortable than the ALICE. I use the MOLLE frame & ruck to pack around 20 Kg. bags of dog food for practice. I have an extended ALICE frame that I made by welding two ALICE frames together. You can see photos of it here:

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=47472&page=13

Many people do not like the MOLLE frames because they are plastic. I don't see that as a problem unless the temperature is very cold. A MOLLE frame with straps and a large ruck can be found on eBay for not too many dollars. The ALICE frames are cheap, but may be well used. If you're into this stuff, you can find some deals. If you want quality gear right out of the box, you are better off with MR. I would love to have an MR pack, but would want to have it fitted to me at the factory.

Look at this from, of all places, LL Bean...

Timberman,

L.L.Bean has come out with a clone of the load hauling frames that Kifaru and Mystery Ranch have, and it is only $79. From a quick look on their website it looks like you could return it if you are not satisfied with it, so you could buy it, test it with a heavy load, and return it if you don't like it.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/64392?feat=2-SR0

UL956UDP9T6ER5XUHAMN.jpg

You would have to put your gear in a pack/bag of some sort and strap it to the hauler frame but lots of folks do it this way.

Hope this helps,

Larry

My alaskan pack (cabellas) has hauled roughly 25 caribou in its day. Grant it as soon as I got it, I replaced all the pins with 1/4"bolts (with wingnuts), re-did the waist pad and shoulder pads. I figure if I was worried about weight, I woulda bought a better pack.

Its seen alot of trips between bou, sheep, bear and moose and now my cheap a$$ has to buy another pack. My aluminum bars are starting to wear through from sitting down on rocks, ect and its starting to get a noticable bow in it. I got my monies worth out of it.

My alaskan pack has hauled about the same amount of elk as lilbigun. Until I get an MR, this will do just fine. (We use a horse to do a lot of the hauling now, so have not had to pins or pads as of yet.) Good luck on your hunt!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back