Pack Adjustment

jbseamus83

I owned a Kelty Tioga pack for close to 14 years. It finally wore out this last season. So, I started down the path of looking at packs. I researched for months and finally settled on the MR Metcalf. I love the pack so far. I have only taken it out a couple of times, but it seems WAY more comfortable than the old external frame kelty. My question is this - I hiked about 6 miles with it on today and by the time I was on my way down from the mountain, my hips felt sore. Full disclosure, I am not in great hiking shape at the moment, as I have had things in my personal life that prevented me from being in the mountains for the last 7 months. So, I am unsure if the soreness that I felt was just not being in good shape yet, or if it's possible that I do not have the pack adjusted correctly. I have watched all the videos on MR's website and tried to make sure that It's adjusted according to their recommendations. Any suggestions?

Sounds like your shoulder straps are likely a little high putting more weight on your hips than equally distributed between shoulders and hips. Not sure how the metcalf adjusts but that was the issue initially on my SG

Back