PEAX Equipment

Pacific NW or AK ideas?

Muskeez

Hey guys, it's a little early to be talking about next summer, but I will be getting married Aug. 9. We are just starting to look at honeymoon destinations. Neither of us have been to Oregon, Washington, BC, or AK. We both love to fish and will definitely include that in any of our destinations as part of the trip. Can anyone suggest some scenic areas with nice accommodations, (doesn't have to be super plush, she is a simple and reasonable gal) where we can do some salmon or halibut or other fishing as a part of our trip? Probably on a charter boat so that I don't have to haul a bunch of gear along. I'm sure there are a thousand options, but personal references and experiences would help a lot. Feel free to send me a PM also with any ideas. Thanks!!

The San Juan Islands are really neat. However, if you want to catch salmon and halibut you may want to go either south (think Astoria/Long Beach area) or up into BC north of Vancouver. Also, Ketchikan and/or Petersburg would both be good locations for this.

oregon things that could be cool would be s w oregon,,,crater lake,oregon caves,rouge river jet boat trip,,fishing the rouge for salmon,crab,orhalibut on the coast? lots of options at a fairly reasonable cost.redwoods in northern cal could be thrown in also.

Fly into Portland, rent a car and drive to Ilwaco, Washington, go on a charter for salmon, or Tuna. and take a walk on the Long Beach peninsula.
Then drive 101 along the Ocean to Port Angeles, checking out the coast and some Old Growth forest along the way (really BIG trees), Olympic National Park, etc..probably even get to take pictures of Elk.
Take a ferry to B.C. and check out Butchart Gardens, then fly home from B.C.
I left out Alaska, as it deserves its own trip...
Also, if you had the $$ Bear season is open in Western Washington...

Congratulatins on your marriage. You know you have a keeper when the gal your about to marry loves to hunt and fish. Here would be my suggestions. Vancouver Island B.C. is pretty amazing. Good combination of scenic urban scene in the southern half around Victoria and then head up to Telegraph Cove or Port Hardy for the fishing and more rustic beauty. The nice thing about staying on the eastern side of the island is that you are fishing for big fish without having to deal with the ocean swells. Nothing ruins a salmon trip faster than to have either you or your wife get sea sick. The area around Telegraph Cove is also known for its killer whales and bald eagle populations that spend their summers in the area. You would be going up there at about the right time to catch some nice Chinnook and Coho, as well as halibut and lingcod. Another option you might consider if you want to keep it state side, is to fly into Seattle, WA and see the sights in the city for a couple of days and then head up to Sekiu, WA for your fishing on the Pudget Sound. This will again keep you off the ocean and the possible big swells. You could then spend a couple of days checking out the Olympic Penninsula. Feel free to send me a pm if either of these options sound interesting. I have been fishing Telegraph Cove/Port Hardy on and off for the last twenty five years, and my moms side of the family still lives in and around the Seattle and Everett WA areas. Fished in Telegraph Cove two summers ago and Sekiu last year.

Last edited:
Seward alaska fits the bill. Everything you wanted and excellent fishing.
Personal exprience with Profish& sea charters they will get you on the fish.

This is another cool thing about this site, it's not all about killing the biggest critter, but helping each other out in various ways. Thanks for all the great ideas so far. Keep them coming. We will sit down in the next few weeks and look at the maps and start researching on the computer, but this helps a LOT to have personal experiences from others to point us in the right direction. THANKS GUYS AND GALS!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back