Pac-Nor Barrels and Services?

TradeGun.62

I'm thinking of having an old tang safety Ruger M77 .30-06 rebarreled and am looking at having Pac-Nor Barrels in Oregon do the work.

Anybody have personal experience with their barrels and the quality of their work?

Thanks!

I'm thinking of having an old tang safety Ruger M77 .30-06 rebarreled and am looking at having Pac-Nor Barrels in Oregon do the work.

Anybody have personal experience with their barrels and the quality of their work?

Thanks!
Yes, have had 3 barrels installed, actions trued, including on a tang safety ruger in 6mm.

Good turn around time and their work is very good.

I recommended them to @JM77 and he had a barrel installed by them and he was pretty happy with them as well.

Another good friend of mine has had several rebarreled there with great results.

Wife's rifle, pacnor barrel, spiral fluted the bolt, etc.

IMG_4970.JPG

First shots testing loads and barrel break in:

IMG_4975.JPG

IMG_4976.JPG

IMG_4977.JPG

IMG_4979.JPG

IMG_4980.JPG

I had a tang safety 30-06 rebarreled to 6.5-06. The first barrel shot very well but I was getting high pressure really fast. I sent it back and they put a new barrel on it. Barrel #2 had the same issue so I sent it back in and they put a new barrel on it and sent it back to me. Again, I was getting pressure issues. I sent the rifle to a different smith and his 6.5-06 reamer was .002-.003" bigger then Pac Nors. He opened it up with his reamer and I now have 4 different loads that shoot .75" groups with 5 shots using different bullets and powders.

Pac Nor was good to work with. I just wish I would have thought about the reamer issue sooner in my journey with the 6.5-06.

Per your screen name, I’ll trade guns with ya for a new, never fired Howa 1500 in 30-06 with a weaver 4 power scope for that old nasty M77 (I love m77s) 😁😁

Thanks guys. I'm glad to hear of your good experiences with the. Sounds like they do good work and are good to work with. I'll either go back with .30-06 or maybe .35 Whelen.

wisconsinteacher, I'll keep your experience in mind.

Four22, Ha ha ha! I never thought of that one. The name is for the flintlock muzzleloader know as the Northwest Trade Gun among other. I love mine, although I'm still not very good with the flinch lock! Hence the rebarreling of the Ruger. Which is an old friend by now. Thanks for the offer tho! :)

Thanks guys. I'm glad to hear of your good experiences with the. Sounds like they do good work and are good to work with. I'll either go back with .30-06 or maybe .35 Whelen.

Four22, Ha ha ha! I never thought of that one. The name is for the flintlock muzzleloader know as the Northwest Trade Gun among other. I love mine, although I'm still not very good with the flinch lock! Hence the rebarreling of the Ruger. Which is an old friend by now. Thanks for the offer tho! :)
Split the difference and go .338-06 (if you reload). All the cool kids shoot them! 😉

Worth a shot! I love the old tang safety’s.

My old red pad tang safety was rebarreled by ER Shaw and it’s a tack driver. It started life as a 25-06 and now sports a fluted barrel in 280 AI.

Love that rifle

I know Pac-Nor's shop went up in flames a few years back and they haven't been back open again for that long. Anyone gotten a barrel from them since the rebuild?

I know Pac-Nor's shop went up in flames a few years back and they haven't been back open again for that long. Anyone gotten a barrel from them since the rebuild?

The only guy I know of who has.

I had my 280 Rem rebarreled by them and it is an absolute tack driver. 200 yard groups were sub MOA with 5 different bullet/load combos. They got it the end of last May and it took them about 16 weeks to get it back to me. I'd highly recommend them.

I visited their new place and was impressed with the whole operation...
they are using WWII machinery. Said they bought new lathes and milling machines and could't get the same degree of precision as their old machines so then acquired old machines, rebuilt them, and are getting great results.

I visited their new place and was impressed with the whole operation...
they are using WWII machinery. Said they bought new lathes and milling machines and could't get the same degree of precision as their old machines so then acquired old machines, rebuilt them, and are getting great results.
So today's CNC tech is less accurate than outdated machinery? mtmuley

Thanks for the info. Good to hear about a more recent job.

So today's CNC tech is less accurate than outdated machinery? mtmuley

Could be a money thing, e.g. $100,000 modern CNC gets you .05 thousandths machine, same money refurbish gets you .02 thousandths. IDK

I have a couple of Noveske barrels that I think were made in the Pac-Nor shop. They are pretty accurate.

Back