Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Pa youth hunt

mixedbag

My 8 year old was able to connect on a nice tom this morning.Started off as a very tough morning.First stop where I had 2 birds located,all was quiet.Around 8am we moved to another spot down the road.There I was able to get one to let out a lone gobble but quickly shut down.At this point we have about 3 miles on our feet and Iknow he's tired but I have one last stop.Talked him into giving it a try and its a long walk back to this spot;about a mile in.We are approaching a field set way back in the woods,and I let out some yelps with a cackle,and one hammers back.Its about 10:30 at this point,and we don't have a lot of time left in the day.I call again and he hammers back and about 200 yards out.I flip the gopro on,and we make a sprint across the open field to the other side the gobblers on.Me and the gobbler talk with each other about 20 minutes then I hear a hen going off close by.I'm thinking another hunter moved in since this is Pa on gamelands.I work the bird a little harder and my son is shaking so bad I'm laughing at him.He tells me he's shaking because he's cold,and I a say "no" but your learning what hunting is all about;adrenalin.Five minutes later I see 2 white heads at about 40 yards but he can't see them yet.He's sitting in my lap so I can take the kickoff the gun.He just aims and shoots.I tellhim I can see them and the kids going nuts,lol.They hit the logging road and head towards the field behind us.I swing him around in my lap and now he sees them at 20 yards.I told them to get on him quick because he noticed us move.Boooooommmm,kid knocks the turkey down and rolling.It gets back up and 2 more quick shots ended it.What an awesome time and a great hunt.He's so excited that I want to give him my tag now for next week,but can't.Didn't weigh the bird but its very close to 20lbs and felt more like 100 after the mile walk back out and 5 miles on our feet for the morning.Looks to be about a 7" beard but I didn't stretch a tape to it.His older brother can't believe it after he got skunked in his spot.Next week I have to take the older one out to get his
I've taken so many turkey myself that I don't go that much but I never had a more fun hunt then this.Me and my youngest son got his first buck this past fall as well.Not a bad year for him

Fantastic story. It sounds like you guys had a hunt that you will both remember forever. I had my almost 9 yr old out this morning. After trying a couple of our normal spots and hearing nothing, we finally struck one. We set up and exchanged words with him, but he wouldn't budge. He was on an old cow pasture, and most likely had some hens. It seems like our area of Susquehanna county has seen the turkey number really decline the last few years. I think it has to do with a number of factors, but we'll be back after them next Saturday morning.

Isn't it strange how they spring out of bed on a Saturday morning at 4:00 AM, but really struggle At 6:30 on a school day?

yeah, our bird numbers are way down.Two tough winters in a row and lots of predators.I hope your son gets a shot

Sounds like a great morning! I'd like to try a spring turkey hunt with my 7yo, but baseball commitments has stopped that this year. If he can handle the 20ga by next year we're gonna give it a shot.

Awesome story and great memories!
No pic but I can imagine the smile...especially when telling big brother about it!
Congrats!
Now to get the older son one.

Thanks for posting, I love to read stories about the kids getting out there. Congrats to both of you!

Did your son shoulder the gun and sit back against you? Trying to figure out a better way. I took my daughter out and we had a few gobblers come in to 50 yards but not close enough. Since she is only 7 and on the small side best way I have been able to take the kick out is to hold the butt of the gun in my hand while sitting behind her and she sights it and pulls the trigger. Kind of like I am the lead sled. Works well in the yard practicing but not the best.

He sits in my lap and I have gun to my shoulder.He holds/aims,shoots.Its a weird position but works for him
Never tried posting pictures but we took plenty,and a gopro video of the entire hunt

Well, my 15 year old got it done yesterday all by himself.I've taken him out since he was 8 yrs old and for the past 2 years he's been wanting to do his own calling/locating.Last season he missed a nice bird he called in but this year he was able to connect.He was done by 6:30 yesterday morning.Dads the only one without a bird but I'm pretty picky having killed alot of turkey.I have 4 weeks to get it done,and will enjoy as much time taking my gun for a walk as possible.Maybe I'll shoot one but feel my season is pretty much complete with my 2 boys tags filled

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Irish-Jay
Back