Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Pa mt man's first elk

pa mt man

Finally got around to posting some pics of my first elk.
Picture #2 is taken at about 1pm on the fourth day of the 3rd season in colorado. We had hunted the first 3 days down low without much luck and decided to go in the wilderness. We got up at 2am and drove to the boundry. We got to the meadow behind me before light,but no elk. we than hunted the timbers to lower powderhorn lake,without seeing much fresh sign.
I told my brother I had a headache and wanted to go back. 49, out of shape and walking around at 11,000 plus feet does that to an old person.
Picture #2 was taken by my brother just before we started into the woods to head back. We didn't know there was a bull 400 yards behind me. I wish I had taken my digatial instead of the throwaway camera so we could see the elk better. Moosie knows what to carry for those kodak moments.
Img16_small.jpg

Picture #3 is a blow up showing the elk in the back.
Img16_cropped_elk.sized.jpg

Picture #4 is about 5 mins after the shot. You can see were I laid down,feet facing the elk, to take the shot. I rested the gun on my knee. My gun is a 670 winchester in the 30-06 that I bought when I was 18 yrs old. But today I was using my older sons tikka in a 300 win mag,since he couldn't come.It didn't take a step. It just fell over.
Img15_small.jpg

Picture # 5 is me and my first elk. I know I'm not smiling in this pic or in # 2(I felt like crap) ,but I wish you could see me in picture # 4.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Img14_small.jpg

Last picture is more ammo and friends packing out Stush's cow. He shot about twice the width of the road and it was 4TH IN LINE!!! The lead cow was right in front of him.He said he could reach out and touch her.She never seen or smelt him although she was getting antsy.
Img08.sized.jpg

Don

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-28-2003 12:12: Message edited by: pa mt man ]</font>

Congrats again on your first elk, PaMM! Great pics. Gotta tell you, that pic of you with elk feeding in background is hilarious!
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Oak

Congrats to you.. I am very suprised that the elk was just hanging out there behind you.. great pics and great elk

Those are cool pictures and a good story. Too bad you were feeling a little under the weather. Congrats on your first.
wink.gif
Now you are hooked for life.
smile.gif

Congrat's, It's a pretty good rush getting that first one, isn't it? -memtb

Back