PA hunter's CO experiences

PAElk

I have been following this site for a couple of years and joined in August. This is my first post. I love the site, the TV shows, and the idea of hunting "on your own". I thought I would briefly share my western hunting experiences with you, most of which have been in CO, except for a 2003 mule deer hunt in WY. I am from SW PA where we spend our time hunting deer, turkey, and grouse in the Laurel Mountains. So while I am an "easterner", I would not consider myself a "flatlander".

My brother's sister in law moved to CO in the mid 90's and he had visited her several times, so it was natural for us to consider look into hunting there. We made our first trip in 1999. I was 28, he was 43. We hunted unit 12, DIY, near the Flat Tops. I killed a small fork-horn buck. We did not see any Elk while hunting, but learned a few things. The next trip was muzzleloader elk in 2001. Again, no elk, but learned a little more. Mostly to be careful when choosing a trespass hunt.

We did not make it back again until 2009. During those eight years away, determined to hunt DIY, I spent a lot of time studying maps, reading, calling chambers of commerce and some locals, and talking with biologists and conservation officers. That year, I drew a 3rd season unit 22 buck tag and my brother bought a leftover cow tag. I intended to buy an OTC bull tag but never did, which turned out to be a mistake, as I saw 3 bull elk midweek. I did kill a 3pt buck, but as important, I learned a little more about where and when I could find elk.

Our next trip was 2011, 3rd season elk only. We hunted several units in the Meeker area. We saw a few elk off and on during the course of the week, but it was on Thursday, the sixth and final day of our trip, that I had my first opportunity to shoot at an elk, and I took it. He was severely quartering away. I hit him, but not good. I had to track him for over an hour, sometimes on hands and knees, before I was able to get another shot and get him on the ground. Not exactly how I would have wanted it to go down, but an incredible experience. Last hunt, on the last afternoon of the last day!

We returned for the 3rd season 2012. I had a buck tag and a bull tag. The weather was warm, no snow. The hunting was different. But armed with some experience, and knowing that persistence pays off, we hunted every day, trying different spots, and finally the persistence paid off. On Wednesday morning, I killed both a nice buck and a bull. Both animals dropped right in their tracks. Same day, unbelievable!

All along, we have been banking CO elk points, but have been using the deer points. So, for 2013, with no deer points, we had a 30% shot at 2nd season buck tags, and I was successful in the draw. Armed with that tag and OTC bull tags, we again headed west. Being an earlier season, the weather was warm, and the hunting was even slower, but we planned on hunting through Friday this time, and felt confident that eventually we would find animals. On Friday, about mid morning, I heard something I had never heard while hunting elk...a bugle! Kind of late in the season, I thought, which made it that much more special. The bull bugled three times, seemingly leading me to him. When I finally saw him, he was not alone, and the shot was obscured by a spike bull standing in front of him. I was hunting in junipers, and for a little while I could not see them at all, and thought they were gone. After some still hunting through those junipers I caught up with him, standing broadside 100yds, but all I could see was his hind qtr and one antler. He turned and faced me, I thought I had a shot, but realized that the blur in the scope was a dead tree sticking up about halfway to the elk, blocking his vitals again. We stared at each other for what felt like an eternity. I had some marginal shot opportunities, but I just did not feel comfortable. In the end, I chose not to shoot. Although I did not harvest an animal in 2013, I did not come away empty handed. I had an incredible experience. I continued to learn. Although I really miss the elk meat!

I hope to be back again this fall. I am going to be 43 and my brother 59. He has a bad hip and does not get around too well, so we think we might try 4th season cow tags to maybe increase his odds as he has yet to connect in the west. I have three boys, the oldest of whom is now hunting age. Hopefully, the whole family will one day be able to head west for an elk hunt and share in that incredible experience.

Photos: '09 Buck, '11 Elk, '12 Buck, '12Elk

Attachments

• DSCN0123.jpg
    DSCN0123.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 433
  • DSCN0515.jpg
    DSCN0515.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 426
  • DSCN0757.jpg
    DSCN0757.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 428
  • DSCN0763.jpg
    DSCN0763.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 426
Now that's a good first introduction there PAElk. Nice to meet ya. Welcome! Good looking animals there and good stories to go with them. I really like the 09 Buck.

That's cool. Glad to read of your success and fun. Congrats. Hope you have continued success.

My wife is a SW PA gal, though she moved from there, to Vegas, as a teenager. She still considers Greensburg to be "home."

Welcome aboard. Some fine pics and stories, look forward to the ones with you and your boys. Good to have youngsters for elk packers.

Welcome to the site and congrats on your awesome trophies. Kudos to you as well on not taking that shot. Hope your family has many more great hunts home and out west. Good huntin'

Nice first post. Like Big Finn, I married a PA girl. Her mom still lives in Jersey Shore. Welcome to Hunt Talk. Looking forward to your next post.

Welcome. Great first post.
Great critters...

I was born and raised in SW PA (33 yrs between Allegheny & Butler Counties).

Thank you all for the warm welcome. Lot's of PA connections. My wife and I both grew up in Greensburg (Hempfield Township) and basically still live there in adjacent Latrobe.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back