PA Deer Season

Shaky

is right around the corner - 8 days, but who's counting? :D

A bit of information for anybody hunting in PA this rifle season. If you use an ATV as a vehicle as part of your hunting be aware of the following. All ATV's used in PA on property other then your own must be registered, licensed and insured. Lack of doing so "can" result in a fine up to $200

To bring you up to date on the "Nut" house - the stand Nut will be hunting from. We did spend 3 hours out in the fields today clearing brush and trimming tree's to make for clear/clean shots from the stands. While at the stand Nut will be in a nice 10 point buck came out to feed - it was around 4:45pm.
It was a mere 450 yards from the stand, an easy kill. :D

I wish everybody a safe and productive season.

Don

Dave and I went out today around 2:30pm. I set-up in my stand for some practice at 100, 200, 300 and 400 yards. It was a real strong wind out of the south/southwest (I was shooting directly east). At 300 yards the bullet was being blown about 6" sideways. I did manage a decent 1" group at 300 yards (3 shots). The wheels fell off at 400 yards - group opened up to 3 1/2". It was difficult to hold steady on the target with all that wind. Just as we finished up the wind calmed down - go figure.

After some practicing we went over to the "Nut House". I got in the stand as Dave walked the perimiter and shot back to the stand with the range finder. He took a number of readings and I drew a map of the area. I just finished the map on the CAD system. Nut now has a scale map with the yardages listed to various markings. No excuses now, :D The furthest we went out was 280 yards so there shouldn't be any problems with hitting any deer out to that distance. Dave did dig out about 50 rounds of ammo for the 280 Ackley Improved so Nut should have plenty of ammo to practice with and plenty left over to kill a couple of deer.

The rifle is sighted in 2 1/2" high at 100 yards which puts it "on" at 300 yards. So anything within 300 yards, aim dead on, squeeze, dead deer. Nut will be at the shooting range this Sunday afternoon to get familiar with the rifle, light trigger (2 1/2lbs) and he will see first hand how he shoots at 100, 200 and 300 yards. This should build his confidence come Monday.

I am excited, but not for me, I am excited for Nut, I sure hope he kills a couple of deer next week.

Don

Back to work tomorrow.

Right - I mean Left, sorry about that and Elkhunter thanks for the encouragement.

Chairman aka CEO for short

I wish you well come Monday. Looks like we are all going to need it. Temps are supposed to be in the mid 50's, YUKKK. Clear skies Monday and Tues Morning with the possibility of rain Tues afternoon and rain for Weds - why whould this year be different :eyeroll:

I see you're from Johnstown, My Mom was born there. I was down that way last year - mostly getting lost.

Have a safe and enjoyable holiday weekend,

Don

Might as well get used to it. It just keeps getting warmer and warmer every year. I'm counting on a slew of hunters walking in and pushing a few past me first thing. It sounds good in theory anyway :D
It has worked for me for quite a few years so lets hope my luck is good this year.

Nut, it looks like the pressure is on bud. Don't want to hear any stories about misjudging distances, scope out of whack, etc!! ;)

Best of luck to you two, I hope you get some bigguns!

Back