Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

P&Y announcement?

Who said elk should be gone because of new gear. Archery itself is or was about self limitation and challenge not to make things easiest as it is today. Guess you gotta be old school to appreciate or understand that.
Firearms I don’t think anyone disagrees with but they should be in a firearm season. Modern bows especially crossbows are closer to firearms.
Garmin just put out a self ranging scope good for 250 yards. When sold together with a ten point it’s a 4500 bow. Tell me who spends that to self limit or challenge themselves? Same for Excalibur twin strike, 2 arrows already loaded, ravin swears they’re good 100 yards. Most crossbows are if benched and many guys can’t even shoot a slug gun that far accurately.
The air bow. Now you throw bait on the ground, your camera tells you when deer show up, your scent eliminator lets you hunt anyway you want (so you think). You show up 1/2before, shoot and take a hero pic. Again challenge?
Now pope and young wants to water down an accomplishment?
No one says men can’t hunt how they want. People can do whatever but it should be in the appropriate season. It should be with appropriate gear.
Never should someone supporting a season be thought of as exclusive. They aren’t. They’re just saying we’ve got seasons set aside for archery, leave em set aside. Pope and young should be supporting that imo
None of those things are legal in Montana.. can’t crossbow without permit, can’t have auto ranging scope. Can’t have can’t have two arrows loaded can’t have digital game cams that tell you when the deer is there can’t do any of those things… P&Y perhaps should take these variances in laws into play. I’ve seen some nice recurves at still nearly a grand, and if you really consider the amount you spend on your equipment part of the challenge, why don’t you take your HOMEMADE bow out in your deerskin assflaps and camp under some pine boughs wrapped in your Buffalo blankie… get real. A bows a bow, a kisser button could be considered a sight if you had no sight. Anything for consistency. Crossbows should not be included for PnY.. my opinion.
Probably wear Sitka while you’re complaining the gear directly effects your challenge 🤣

Last edited:
None of those things are legal in Montana.. can’t crossbow without permit, can’t have auto ranging scope. Can’t have can’t have two arrows loaded can’t have digital game cams that tell you when the deer is there can’t do any of those things… P&Y perhaps should take these variances in laws into play. I’ve seen some nice recurves at still nearly a grand, and if you really consider the amount you spend on your equipment part of the challenge, why don’t you take your HOMEMADE bow out in your deerskin assflaps and camp under some pine boughs wrapped in your Buffalo blankie… get real. A bows a bow, a kisser button could be considered a sight if you had no sight. Anything for consistency. Crossbows should not be included for PnY.. my opinion.
Probably wear Sitka while you’re complaining the gear directly effects your challenge 🤣
what are you talking about? Do you think you just made sense? I don’t care if you use a bow, even a compound. I prefer stick bows but why should that upset you?
We’re talking about PY allowing crossbows and it’s not even close to a compound accomplishment imo.
Just a FYI I’ve prob taken more deer than I remember wearing jeans and a flannel. Boots smelling like bears or deer I’d just skinned by playing the wind and being forced to because of short time.
Ive never even seen Sitka nor would I spend money on it. Try to comprehend what I said and advise me where I said anyone effects my challenge???
I’ll wait while you think of a witty answer.
God bless Montana btw. Im sorry you’re so unhappy, always someone looking to find fault in someone to make themselves feel better. I’ll pray for ya brother

what are you talking about? Do you think you just made sense? I don’t care if you use a bow, even a compound. I prefer stick bows but why should that upset you?
We’re talking about PY allowing crossbows and it’s not even close to a compound accomplishment imo.
Just a FYI I’ve prob taken more deer than I remember wearing jeans and a flannel. Boots smelling like bears or deer I’d just skinned by playing the wind and being forced to because of short time.
Ive never even seen Sitka nor would I spend money on it. Try to comprehend what I said and advise me where I said anyone effects my challenge???
I’ll wait while you think of a witty answer.
God bless Montana btw. Im sorry you’re so unhappy, always someone looking to find fault in someone to make themselves feel better. I’ll pray for ya brother
No no I think you must have misread. I don’t disagree that crossbows shouldn’t be allowed. But if you say a compound shouldn’t even Be allowed because it’s not a challenge, you’re out of your mind. It is in no way relative to a firearm, it reaps not even close to the harvest statistics, and if you say it’s not challenge enough for you, try it TRULY TRADITIONAL. You can’t boast about tradition and not do it with a spear and loincloth.. assholes are like opinions, huh? We’re both guilty I guess……

O
No no I think you must have misread. I don’t disagree that crossbows shouldn’t be allowed. But if you say a compound shouldn’t even Be allowed because it’s not a challenge, you’re out of your mind. It is in no way relative to a firearm, it reaps not even close to the harvest statistics, and if you say it’s not challenge enough for you, try it TRULY TRADITIONAL. You can’t boast about tradition and not do it with a spear and loincloth.. assholes are like opinions, huh? We’re both guilty I guess……
Ok well than I misread you, my apologies. Compound is easier than a styk but imo and this may upset some guys, you still do use a bow similar in a sense to a styk especially if a styk guy is gapping or crawling. Yes there’s a degree of difference in difficulty. You’ll give up chances and range with a stick but to me the compound guys are still bowhunters in a way an able bodied crossbow guy can’t be.
I’ll never take it away from anyone who really can’t draw a bow any longer just to be clear.

P&Y does a damn nice job of celebrating the Traditional hunter. They don't get into the pissing match of Longbow vs Recurve wood shafts vs carbon and all the other minutia that archers have asked for categorization of in the Target archery world.

Remember, the first P&Y book came out in 1975. There were Compounds then. P&Y has been inclusive of all styles of archery....just not Arrow guns....

A Traditional Journey

This book is an epic cross-section of the SPIRIT – the soul – of hunting with the bow and arrow. Whether you shoot a recurve, longbow or a compound, this book will speak to you.

Thought-provoking chapters and commentary explore the principles and values of bowhunting. Hunting stories from five different eras (including original texts from Saxton Pope, Fred Bear, Glenn St. Charles, Nathan Andersohn and Pat Lefemine) compare and contrast the spirit, excitement and language over nearly 100 years of hunting with the bow and arrow. Additional chapters provide a sampling of the finer aspects of the art and craft of bowhunting: stalking, hunting from the ground, instinctive shooting, the fun of shooting bows, bow building and customizing arrows.

The Traditional Journey Continues

The second in a series of books chronicling the foundations and spirit of hunting with the bow and arrow. The Traditional Journey Continues is an easy-reading collection of stories, bridging more than a century, about how hunting with the bow and arrow can, and does, positively impact our lives.

Read the story of Ishi as told by his friend and hunting companion Will “Chief” Compton. Join Dr. Saxton Pope as he relates Art Young’s adventures in Alaska in the early 1920s. Glenn St. Charles’ personal account of taking his first-ever deer on a snowy Washington State wilderness hunt, and Fred Bear’s personal account of tagging a Wyoming elk in 1952, will have you feeling you were right there experiencing it all with them.

Contemporary authors, Fred Asbell, John Gardner, Marv Clyncke, Len Cardinale, Doug Clayton, Mike Schlegel, Jay St. Charles and Glenn Hisey, dive into the feelings and emotions we experience with participation in the varied activities known as bowhunting. Listed are all traditional-equipment-taken animals in the P&Y Records Program, in all species categories, entered into the Records through January 1, 2013.

The Traditional Journey Lives On

The third in a series of books chronicling the spirit of hunting with the bow and arrow!

The journey of a bowhunter is in finding the joy and value in the heritage and traditions of using only a stick and string, relishing its challenges, the up close and personal interaction with the pursued, and sharing this to preserve and inspire future generations of bowhunters.

Listed are all traditional-equipment-taken animals in the P&Y Records Program entered into the Records through January 1, 2020. A multitude of great field photos enhance the listings.

I was never one for entering an animal in any record book. Not the reason why I hunt but that is neither here nor there.

I read up on P&Y and found it was created as a conservation tool. It was meant to be a place that tracked animals killed to show how changes in management or habitat improvement helped or didn't. It also was a way to show what areas produced and thus could be replicated in other areas.

Arguing over whether crossbow, vertical, traditional should or shouldn't be allowed or 1 is better completely negates the reason this record book was created. And not that it matters but for the record I am anti crossbow hunting unless medically necessary 😀

I was never one for entering an animal in any record book. Not the reason why I hunt but that is neither here nor there.

I read up on P&Y and found it was created as a conservation tool. It was meant to be a place that tracked animals killed to show how changes in management or habitat improvement helped or didn't. It also was a way to show what areas produced and thus could be replicated in other areas.

Arguing over whether crossbow, vertical, traditional should or shouldn't be allowed or 1 is better completely negates the reason this record book was created. And not that it matters but for the record I am anti crossbow hunting unless medically necessary 😀
Same as B&C, but B&C is a better tool (IMHO) because they allow all methods, including sheds and dead heads to monitor the success of a county/area.

Pretty cool back story to the books that most folks never hear about.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Irish-Jay
Back