Overthinking Rifle Scope Options

I’ll gladly take a scope that is rugged, dials correctly and returns to zero but weighs a few extra ounces anyday.

I use the 3-9x40 vx-freedom on a couple rifles and it is, in my honest opinion, the best deal in its price range. I bought them before they came with CDS so I can't speak to that, but I love them and think you could do a whole lot worse than that. 3-9 is all I need for shots that I'm comfortable taking, and I've also used them on steel out to 1000 yards with a 6.5 Grendel. Just my $.02

If you were making $15 an hour would you still be using them?
the "can't afford it" part wasn't in the subject of this thread that I saw, but the TT scope is more than I want to spend.

Kind of tossing this one around, have used it and realize the lower/upper ends of magnification leaves some obvious holes. But there's a lot to like about it..

I use the 3-9x40 vx-freedom on a couple rifles and it is, in my honest opinion, the best deal in its price range. I bought them before they came with CDS so I can't speak to that, but I love them and think you could do a whole lot worse than that. 3-9 is all I need for shots that I'm comfortable taking, and I've also used them on steel out to 1000 yards with a 6.5 Grendel. Just my $.02
I took a chance and bought a Leupold VX-Freedom 3-9x 50mm w/Firedot Twilight Hunter for my new Model 70 Featherweight, when the VX-3HD w/Firedot Twilight Hunter were still unavailable. Pleasantly surprised...really nice scope! Got a great deal from @schmalts .

the "can't afford it" part wasn't in the subject of this thread that I saw, but the TT scope is more than I want to spend.

Kind of tossing this one around, have used it and realize the lower/upper ends of magnification leaves some obvious holes. But there's a lot to like about it..
Well the scope mentioned was a Vortex, not a S.B. or a Night Force!

Any links to web stores rather than a manufacture site will probably be removed. sorry to be a buzzkill.

Let's be real, there is a point of diminishing return. The average shooter will shoot no better with a 3000.00 scope over a 1000.00 scope, cuz he is an average shooter. A scope, unlike other optics like binos, or a spotter, still requires a bit of skill to use it other than looking through it. No different than a guy with 20/80 vision is wasting his money on Swarovski over Bushnell. But a real good shooter can definitely benefit. I would only guess the majority of us here would be wasting money buying an EXTRA 2k$ in a rifle scope. Hell, you should visit a midwest annual gun club sight in clinic...... talk about a waste of money on optics, half the people can't hold a 3 inch group at 100 yards, and is no lie.

Last edited:
yeah, he's the big proponent of the TT. He also uses the 10X schmidt.

Don Fischer. feel free to compare the plusses and minus of the Bushnell banner and Tasco world class options.. variable powers and glass..
Pat obviously knows what he's doing, and I trust what he says to a high degree. That said, Formidilosus over on the 'slide has been using one. He had it not tracking correctly before 100 rounds. His testing regimen is, shall we say, rigorous, though, and that was after some 3' drops onto a shooting mat.

That scope is well out of my pay grade, though. I thought I was really shelling out for a Nightforce SHV.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back