Outfitter Tent - Big Horn III

Elk Arrow

Does anyone own or have used the Cabelas Big Horn III tent? I am looking to buy a tent that will sleep four people on cots with a wood stove inside.

Thanks

My Dad has a Big Horn and we've used it a few times. It's a great tent but it would be snug with 4 cots and a stove. I think 2-3 would be best for max comfort.

I have not used that tent. But from experience I will say I don't like the fabric, it doesn't hold heat like a canvas tent and it scares me to put a stove in a polyester tent, as a welder by trade working with flames there's a reason we stick to cotton clothing. Polyester melts. Sure its lighter than canvas, and while it is water proof, polyester doesn't breathe like a canvas tent will, which can lead to condensation on the inside of the tent. For 4 guys it looks small...especially with a wood stove. It's not necessarily the floor size but its the height and angled walls that will make it small. Roof height at 5'6" means you can never stand even at the tallest point.

If it was me and I wanted 4 guys in a tent with a stove I'd look at the big Kodiak 26x8 with the screened porch. Where I hunt I know places I could set something that big up, that may not be the case for you. I have the 12x9 for 2 guys with the porch. Porch is nice to leave your gear outside the tent, yet still covered.

I have a Big Horn II, essentially the same. It is very comfortable for 2-3 people with cots. Adding a wood stove would make it only useable for 2 people. I've had mine for 10 years and never had a problem with the material. It held up in severe thunderstorms and heavy snow with no problems. It is getting retired some this year as I bought a camper trailer. It is a great tent IMO.

I would add to EasternMTHunter I have had the II for 5 years and gone from downpours to 10 degree blizzards in it. It would be tough to get more than three with the stove in it. As for the material I have had no issues and have got the tent down right steaming inside. It does not hold the heat for long like a canvas will. It is easy to set up 10mins or so once you get the process down. I normally use it with two people or my family but we have the two kids on bunk bed cots. I normally make a quick shelter out the front with a tarp and some tent poles to add on some dry area. probably not the best but for ease of set up and couple guys has worked pretty well for me.

Does anyone own or have used the Cabelas Big Horn III tent? I am looking to buy a tent that will sleep four people on cots with a wood stove inside.

Thanks
I owned one for years. I loved it but in hindsight I would have gotten the alaknak. It’s the same tent but a rectangle/square vs octagon.

if you have the money look at the Davis tent packages. They are almost the exact same $ when you factor in all the accessories.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back