Outfitter Camps in CO Unit 66

Argylesox

Hello from Missouri again! Planning a first rifle elk trip to Unit 66 this year. Depending on how scouting goes a few days before season I will be prepared to hike into the wilderness areas to hunt. Was wondering if anyone that has hunted the area or lives there could tell me if there are any places outfitters seem to set up camp every year. I would like to avoid those areas if possible. I have a call into the game warden for the area with the same question, but I have not heard back yet. Thanks in advance and good luck e-scouting folks.

Mineral Mountain outfitters, and another outfitter (Far West?) hunt Mineral Creek, Rough Creek, Cebolla, and Pasture Gulch all the way back to the divide. Action outfitters hunt the Big Blue Wilderness. There are a lot of diy horse hunters that Hunt the La Garita and Big Blue Wilderness areas. I had my best luck hunting towards the western side of the unit, real close to private. There is nothing worse than riding/walking 2-5 or more miles into a wilderness area and being surrounded by other hunters. There are lots of elk near/within the subdivision and you can drive a utv pretty close to some good hunting. I quit hunting there in 2007, but the same outfitters are still operating within those drainages. Good luck, and it’s a very steep rugged unit, so being in shape really helps.

I use onx and google earth to find camping spots for myself and track down others. You can set the picture dates in google earth and sometimes see actual camps if you look hard enough. Most spots are used year after year.

Mineral Mountain outfitters, and another outfitter (Far West?) hunt Mineral Creek, Rough Creek, Cebolla, and Pasture Gulch all the way back to the divide. Action outfitters hunt the Big Blue Wilderness. There are a lot of diy horse hunters that Hunt the La Garita and Big Blue Wilderness areas. I had my best luck hunting towards the western side of the unit, real close to private. There is nothing worse than riding/walking 2-5 or more miles into a wilderness area and being surrounded by other hunters. There are lots of elk near/within the subdivision and you can drive a utv pretty close to some good hunting. I quit hunting there in 2007, but the same outfitters are still operating within those drainages. Good luck, and it’s a very steep rugged unit, so being in shape really helps.
Well that just really ripped my heart out. Just kidding, you confirmed what I expected. Thank you for the information!

I use onx and google earth to find camping spots for myself and track down others. You can set the picture dates in google earth and sometimes see actual camps if you look hard enough. Most spots are used year after year.
That is exactly what got my mind to thinking about this. I saw what appeared to be a wall tent a long ways from any road.

Mineral Mountain Outfitters also have Mineral Park and Martinez Creek camps in the La Garita, as well as camps in Calf Creek and Robbers Roost in the Powderhorn. They used to list their camps on their website but they don't anymore. It's relatively easy to find their tents on Google Earth. Like @Pagosa said there are also plenty of diy horseback hunters.

The elk in 66 hang out wayyyy up high so if you're applying there you'll want to be sure you can handle the altitude. I was talking to Greg at MMO last year and he was telling me how he had a nonresident hunter the previous year that burned his roughly 16 muzzy points in 66. The guy showed up, got sick, hung out in camp for a few days, then asked to be packed out and went home. Stories like that aren't all that uncommon in that area.

Mineral Mountain Outfitters also have Mineral Park and Martinez Creek camps in the La Garita, as well as camps in Calf Creek and Robbers Roost in the Powderhorn. They used to list their camps on their website but they don't anymore. It's relatively easy to find their tents on Google Earth. Like @Pagosa said there are also plenty of diy horseback hunters.

The elk in 66 hang out wayyyy up high so if you're applying there you'll want to be sure you can handle the altitude. I was talking to Greg at MMO last year and he was telling me how he had a nonresident hunter the previous year that burned his roughly 16 muzzy points in 66. The guy showed up, got sick, hung out in camp for a few days, then asked to be packed out and went home. Stories like that aren't all that uncommon in that area.
Honest question. What is your definition of way up high? 12,000+? 11,000+? I ask because on a previous mule deer hunt all everyone said to me was they were all up high, so I went high, as in 11,500+ and it was a ghost town. Dropped in elevation for a couple days and finally found them around 8,000 to 9,000 feet. When I was talking to some locals about it later they acted like 8 to 9 was pretty typical for that time of year. I don't think anyone tried to mislead me, but my idea of high and their's was a bit different. Also I plan on getting there at least 4 days before season to make sure I have time to acclimate before running all over the mountain opening day.

Hunted 66 in 2005 1st season. We camped at 10,500 and hiked up to a rock at the edge of the treeline every morning where we glassed on up the drainage. Saw a lot of elk and they were all above tree line. I don't know the exact elevation of where we killed our elk, but they were above treeline. So when someone says the elk are up high, this is what they mean.

Honest question. What is your definition of way up high?

For first rifle it'll depend on the year, and how much it snows. During the early seasons I've seen elk above 12.5k, and most I've run into are above 11k. Action Adventures runs a camp right below Mt Unc which is a 14er, and they kill elk basically at the base of it. Most of the outfitters run camps that are at least 10.5k, and in first rifle the elk are mostly above that. If you're serious about killing a bull during first season you should be prepared for 12k IMO. Don't just be prepared to hang out at that elevation, be prepared to pack out an elk. In my experience there's a difference.

Thank you for the information. I will be physically prepared and will post an update to this thread after the hunt.

I shot a bull in there at 12200, didnt see any below 11k. The elk were at the same elevation as some bighorn sheep which was cool to watch. I was camped at 10500. Took me two days to pack him out solo. I was coming from about a nice 300 feet in elevation and I didnt have any problems with altitude sickness.

Finally circling back around to this thread, but we were successful. Three tags, three days, three bulls. Was able to call a bull in for my dad and he shot him at thirty yards, which was by far the highlight of this hunt. They were still bugling which made for a fun hunt. Thank you to everyone that responded to my questions.

Finally circling back around to this thread, but we were successful. Three tags, three days, three bulls. Was able to call a bull in for my dad and he shot him at thirty yards, which was by far the highlight of this hunt. They were still bugling which made for a fun hunt. Thank you to everyone that responded to my questions.
Congrats! Share some pics if you get a chance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back