Outffiter/Hunt recommendations

Montana Advocate

Dear HT Family,

I'd appreciate recommendations for a good guided elk hunt/tag purchase, for 2016. The only caveat being I do not want to look at WY, as we are one point shy of max and don't want to burn our points on a guided hunt as I hope to draw my preferred unit in 2017.

This would be for 2 guys, late 30s, physically fit, always hunted DIY, backcountry, public land, previously. We've both taken bulls with archery and rifle in the past. Not looking to spend more than $7500 total per person. We'd be happy to have a great time, in great country, not have a guide "hold our hands," and have an good opportunity at a 320 bull.

The fall schedule opened up with a recent divorce, so I'm going to take full advantage this year.

Thanks.

Matt

For that kind of money, you could look into buying a couple WY commissioners tags...and you don't lose your points.

Buzz,

Thanks for the recommendation. I hadn't thought of that. Looks like it is tax deductible as a charitable donation, which would put the price in the range we are looking at.
Matt

Last edited:
Montana hunt and fish company offer great private land hunts.The owner is a great guy,and everyone I've sent his way have only had a good experience.I've never hunted with him,but he helped gain me access thru private on to landlocked public land.Only problem was I didn't draw the tag.He had nothing to gain thru me but went out of his way to help me.Check out his website.He's way below your costs for a hunt as well

From elk, to antelope, to deer and all in a closed blind so quickly - Dirty dirty boys

I kinda like it though :)

My yearly maximum of 5 days of hunting, and never more than 3 nights in a row, is forever removed from my life. Thank God.

My yearly maximum of 5 days of hunting, and never more than 3 nights in a row, is forever removed from my life. Thank God.

Guess this makes a guy realize how good he has it. I need to do a better job of showing my appreciation to my wife....😇

Good luck!

Guess this makes a guy realize how good he has it. I need to do a better job of showing my appreciation to my wife....��

Good luck!

I've been lucky. My wife was a hardcore city girl when we met and I finally talked her into moving out to the country. She's always been supportive of my hunting trips, as long as I can at least text to let her know I'm ok. That's part of the reason I bought the InReach. When we do the HT hunts, she always says to go early and stay as late as I want to do extra fishing. I'm not sure if it's because she knows it's because I like fishing, or if she wants me out of the house longer :D But, all my trips to Montana and Wyoming and everywhere else without her have paid off, and from my stories and pics, to where she has decided that she now wants to hunt and it's been great having her there with me. She understands that there will be 'guy trips' that she'll stay home, but more often than not, she'll be right along with us. Plus, it's more meat in the freezers. It's awesome to hunt with your buddies and share moonshine and beers and cigars around the campfire at night, but it's a whole different enjoyment sharing a sunset over the prairie with your wife while antelope hunting. I guess I have the best of both worlds...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back