Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Out of Venison

Rooster52

Looking forward to Michigans early doe season in September.My freezer is empty already this year.

It's too bad you aren't down here. I have a farmer friend that has control permits he is trying to give away right now. There is a huge herd in his winter wheat every day. I saw over 40 in it yesterday morning. I would take him up on the tags but I still have about 1.5 deer left. My Montana mule deer is already just about gone. It didn't last too long...some of the best eating I ever had.

I've had to take over 1/2 of my neighbors freezer this year...

dcopas- Can those deer be donated? Are the weapons restrictions different for depredation tags? If I could donate the meat, I have a young son that'd LOVE to help out.

I'm not sure on how the tags work. I don't think that there are any weapon restrictions - meaning you can use a rifle to harvest. They just have to be used outside of the normal deer season, which ended in February. I can ask him to see what he has left and how the tags work. He was going to give some to one of his farm hands. I will talk to him and see what he has left. I think he had 8-12 tags, and usually he has no problem getting rid of them. I'll let you know something by this evening. I'll stop by on my way home and see if he still has any to offer.

I'm not sure on how the tags work. I don't think that there are any weapon restrictions - meaning you can use a rifle to harvest. They just have to be used outside of the normal deer season, which ended in February. I can ask him to see what he has left and how the tags work. He was going to give some to one of his farm hands. I will talk to him and see what he has left. I think he had 8-12 tags, and usually he has no problem getting rid of them. I'll let you know something by this evening. I'll stop by on my way home and see if he still has any to offer.
Thanks! Not a huge deal if he doesn't and the short notice might make it tough to pull off with our schedule.

Our farm predation permits can only be used from August to December here in Michigan. Only can be used on does. But with no fat from feeding on fall corn,I really donot like the meat.Lots of difference in August venison compaired to November Venison.

Our farm predation permits can only be used from August to December here in Michigan. Only can be used on does. But with no fat from feeding on fall corn,I really donot like the meat.Lots of difference in August venison compaired to November Venison.

Try canning those does since you'd have liquid in the jars to over ride the lack of fat content, plus you can flavor them before you seal them.

Try canning those does since you'd have liquid in the jars to over ride the lack of fat content, plus you can flavor them before you seal them.

Right on, John. We have canned gobs of meat over the years. It is a fantastic way to get meat out of the freezer and onto the shelf. It gives you a quick, tasty meal and canned meat lasts a long time.

I never have the issue of a vacant freezer. I generally kill 10+ deer a year and an antelope or two. My neighbor also does some depredation permits on occasion. It looks like within a month or so, I will be whack'n and stack'n again. Gotta love those prolific white-tailed deer.:hump:

I just talked to my friend about the control permits. Man, I was WAY wrong. He said that his permits are good late summer (same as Rooster posted about his) but that the season ends when the actually deer season ends. The only difference being that you can actually shoot them with any weapon (rifles included) and he has to have the shooter listed (5 total shooter allowed) on the permit.

Glad I asked him before I went and shot one for myself :eek: An old truck with a good, strong cattle bumper on it might work....If you hit it hard enough, it would already be tenderized :D

One of the benefits of having 3 boys, they keep the freezer stocked with 5-6 deer per year.

This....my boys keep our freezer full of elk, deer, antelope, birds, etc...Other than an antelope last fall I hadn't shot a big game animal since 2010. Just don't need the meat.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back