Out of nowhere I may be getting a new rig......

SFC B

Some of you may know that I am a '06 guy. I shoot my Savage 110 at everything that it is legal for and the only thing I have shot at it didn't kill was an ill advised clean miss at a moving buck a couple of years ago. Today I found out that I may have a hook up on a new rig. If I do it will be a once in a lifetime opportunity for me and am looking at another big game caliber other than the '06 I love. I am leaning toward Nosler 28. Any experience with this round? The next closest thought would be 300WM ....anyone shoot both for comparison?

My 28 has taken an elk and a moose so far this year. I still love my 300WM though too. Lot of ammo choices for the 300, not so much on the 28.

Seeing you have heavy options covered, what about something in the 6.5? 6.5-284 or PRC and you have the whole range covered.

I agree with the .28 Nosler being a reloaders round. If you love to tinker with rounds and ammo and guns, it'd be great.

At one time, I probably would have reached for the .300 WM, but I think the 7mm Mag is just more efficient and will reach further.

Also, if you really want a heavy hitter, .338 WM?

Or you could just jump on the 6.5 Creedmoor band wagon.

If this comes through my choice of rounds would be 28, Manbun, 300WM, 7mm or 6.5-284. If I was going to go light it would be below a 6.5 round but that isn't an option.

If you handload, 28 Nosler all the way!
Much better BC per given weight vs 30 caliber.

And i don't see where they quit making 404 Jeffery or RUM casings.

Both are great rounds, if your looking for long range performance, 28 nosler is the go to. Especially if whoever is building it can throat the rifle for the 195 bergers.

300 WM will be around for a long long time.

You really should get what you feel comfortable with. Buying on someone else's opinion simply means if you don't like it in the end you can blame it on someone else. I don't like magnums at all anymore but I have to admit within my own guideline's a 300 Win Mag will do a bit more than a 30-06 will, due to handling a heavier bullet better if that's even important, Then again I'm just a hunter that limit's the range I'd shoot at an animal to 300 yds or less, much less!

Don't know a thing about the 28 Nosler other than you can get bullet's to 175grs for it. In the 300 mag you can get bullet's to about 220grs. I think the advantage of a 300 over a 28 is the the heavy bullet's in the 300, keep it from driving bullet's to speed's they might not handle well. Let's face it, place a 140gr 7mm bullet well from about anything will give you a dead animal. Do the same with a 220gr bullet from a 30 anything with the same shot placement and the result will be the same. The 7mm with the 140gr bullet recoils less! There's the real difference!

You have an '06, so that tells me you are fine with the tried and true. Why not just stick with a tried and true .300WM then?
On the other hand, having a .28 NOS would be pretty cool too.

Since you already have a 30cal I’d go for the 28Nos or 7mm mag.
Custom gun or factory??

Back