Our Successful Elk and Deer Hunt (long)

hunt1up

A little backstory. A few years ago I met Colin through the Archerytalk forums. We both had done some western hunting but always found it difficult to find other folks back home with the same desire to head West on an annual basis. In 2012 we planned our first trip, a Colorado DIY OTC archery elk hunt in unit 30. Our wives were concerned that their respective husbands would end up in a deep freezer somewhere, which luckily turned out to be of no concern. I met Colin and his dad on that trip and we got along well. That crappy elk hunt turned into a 5 day backup antelope hunt in WY where Colin scored his first antelope, followed by an antelope/deer hunt last year that was also successful. We'd both agreed that it was time for another go at elk this season.

We'd been scouring the statistics and maps for months trying to pick our bull unit. We have enough points to pull a pretty decent WY bull hunt. Apps were submitted and then we realized that someone (cough, cough, Colin) forgot to buy their preference point last year. Statistically we were out of the running for our tag so we decided to go to plan B, a cow elk hunt with a deer or antelope tacked on for good measure. In hindsight I'm glad we didn't burn points as we learned a great deal about elk hunting on this trip. Although we've both been out west on 8-9 hunts I feel like this was the most educational, at least for me.

The unit in southern WY that we chose had 100% cow draw and just so happened to have leftover deer tags. We each bought one of each, as did Colins dad, and my dad elected to just elk hunt.

So 9/28 arrived and my father and I drove an overly full pickup west from Central, IL. Colin and his dad would be flying to Denver from PA the following day. That next day we all arrived at our hotel, shook hands, unloaded the trucks, and headed our for our first scouting afternoon. About a 10 mile dirt road drive put us in position to glass one of the two main mountains in the unit from a nice sage brush flat. Boy were we happy, we saw all sorts of elk on that mountain. Sitting behind my 15s and sipping on an always smooth Keystone Light, it appeared that this hunt was going to be pretty damn easy. "We'd just walk right up there." Later we'd realized that these elk were a mere 5-6 miles via GPS, and virtually impossible to reach on foot.

More to come...

Attachments

• IMG_7350.jpg
    IMG_7350.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 739
Scouting day two was spent doing some more hiking and glassing. 10/1 was our opener so we figured we had it all under control. We'd hike up to an equal elevation to the elk we'd glass and then put on the stalk once located. Little did we know just how steep, deep, and thick those draws were between us and the elk.

Opening day arrived and we did our hike. About 1/2 mile up the mountain a gracious resident hunter offered us a ride in his side-by-side to our glassing destination. It proved to be a real hazardous(go figure) for 5 grown men fully loaded with gear to ride up a bumpy mountain road in the dark. Colin and I decided we'd hike the rest of the way and let the old men hitch a ride. We got to our spot at daylight and spend much of the morning watching clouds.

We did a hike or two and quickly realized how impractical this location was for locating and accessing animals.

Attachments

• IMG_7355 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_7355 (800x600).jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 734
  • IMG_7370 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_7370 (800x600).jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 735
After a discouraging opening day with no elk sighted and one close encounter on a fork mule deer we were sort of at a loss. We knew that north mountain was practical for us. My dad decided to sleep in the following day and the rest of us decided to hike through a narrow strip of state land which accessed the NF ground on the other mountain. After a modest hike we started finding elk sign. The country here was much better...less beetle kill, easier walking. We proceeded to hike roughly three miles on some FS roads, mostly just trying to learn. Later that morning we bumped into an outfitter who was setting his camp for an upcoming moose hunt. He graciously offered us a ride back to our truck. Our three mile hike was about 20 miles via truck.

I must say that I have to give huge thanks to the gracious residents of WY. The outfitter not only gave us a ride but was extremely helpful in telling us more about our new unit. We learned much in those 30 minutes. The plan for the next three days was to drive up the mountain and set up along the long top ridges, basically still hunting the elk that would naturally have to cross the top at some point.

We tried this tactic for the next three days. Colin and his dad saw a spike, a few doe mulies, and a bear. My dad and I saw a nice bull and some cows in the headlights but nothing during the hunt. But we found tons of excellent sign and we knew it was just a matter of time before we'd find some game.

The morning of day 6 arrived and we made the long drive out to the mountain. We elected to hotel sleep and it cost us about 2 hours of sleep per night. Or original plan wa to hunt low, where we initially hiked the FS roads. Nearing the mountain, Colin and I decided we'd better go up high. We dropped my dad (Colin's slept in) off about halfway up the mountain and Colin and I proceeded to the top. The instant we opened the truck door we heard bugles and lots of them.

It was still dark so we decided that at light we'd head after the herd. About 1/4 mile in and we were right on top of the elk. The wind was perfect. Colin spotted some elk around 200 yards off but it was too thick for a shot. We decided to loop around to try to get behind the elk we'd spotted. After just a few yards I came around a tree and there was a nice fat cow feeding at about 60 yards. I already had my bipod deployed so I dropped down a landed a perfect heart shot! As my elk fell, Colin went after the herd, using a mouth call as he went.

After 50 yards of running at elevation, mouth call in this throat, and a few too many whiskeys in his belly from the night prior, Colin proceeded to give me the "I'm gonna puke!" line. Sure enough that's exactly what he did. Just seconds later I looked up and saw a spike and small cow coming into the open around 100 yards off. Colin tried to get steady on the cow, but in the midst of all the action he was unable to get a good rest.

We proceeded to butcher and pack our first elk. It was a humbling experience to say the least. I now know way Randy used the hiking poles on every hunt.

Attachments

• IMG_7445 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_7445 (800x600).jpg
    444.8 KB · Views: 727
  • IMG_7449 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_7449 (800x600).jpg
    404.6 KB · Views: 724
  • IMG_7458 (600x800).jpg
    IMG_7458 (600x800).jpg
    358.6 KB · Views: 722
  • IMG_7459 (600x800).jpg
    IMG_7459 (600x800).jpg
    347.8 KB · Views: 727
After our successful packout we headed to the processor and to get Colin's dad for the evening hunt. We'd found so much sign where we'd got our first elk that we knew we'd be spending the remainder of our hunt up there.

That afternoon we set the old men up on some newly found wallows and Colin and I hiked back in to the same area. We saw squat that night and proceeded to freeze in the cold mountain wind.

The morning of day seven found us ready to make our hike back in to our honey hole. My dad slept in again and Colin's dad decided he'd hike in with us. After a good hour of glassing and hiking to no avail we were a bit discouraged. While taking a break, Colin whispers "deer!" We look down through a clearing in the pines and see a lone deer feeding. Now this is day seven and Colin had never killed a mule deer. We were in "shoot if it's legal mode" at this point. We glassed the deer and found it to be a spike. A quick look at the regs and the stalk was on. Colin belly crawled through some small pines and found a good rest. I gave him the range at 245 yards and he made a great shot. A little high for his liking but the deer was ours!

Attachments

• IMG_7499 (600x800).jpg
    IMG_7499 (600x800).jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 699
  • IMG_7486 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_7486 (800x600).jpg
    354.5 KB · Views: 701
  • IMG_7484 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_7484 (800x600).jpg
    381.6 KB · Views: 699
The next day and a half were spent hunting lower. Our legs were tired and we knew we couldn't make that hike that many consecutive times.

The morning of day 8 found the old men sleeping and Colin and I making our final hike in. After about a mile we spotted a nice cow feeding on a ridge, I'm guessing around 800 yards out. We knew it was now or never so we made the fast hike to get close. Unfortunately, by time we got there she'd fed into the dark timber and out of reach.

We then knew the hunt was done. Had we found this particular area sooner we both feel like we would have killed another elk or two. But that's how you learn I suppose.

Given that it was a new unit and new terrain we were extremely pleased with our results.

Attachments

• IMG_7505 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_7505 (800x600).jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 696
  • IMG_7507 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_7507 (800x600).jpg
    287 KB · Views: 692
  • IMG_7510 (600x800).jpg
    IMG_7510 (600x800).jpg
    338.6 KB · Views: 697
  • IMG_7511 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_7511 (800x600).jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 696
  • IMG_7512 (600x800).jpg
    IMG_7512 (600x800).jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 695
I love the part about puking. Too funny. I know a few guys that like to drink too much and it's cost them a couple trophies over the years

I love the part about puking. Too funny. I know a few guys that like to drink too much and it's cost them a couple trophies over the years

My buddy suggested I leave that part out but I really couldn't. I think it was more the running at elevation with a call in his mouth that got him, but he did say it tasted reminiscent of Jameson, lol. It makes for a good story.

Looks like a fun time in some neat country. Congrats on the critters.

What kind of packs where you guys using?

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back