Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

OTC Colorado Archery Hunting Partner

Broadhead

As a new member of the forums all I can say is wow! The wealth of information on these forums is incredible. It's amazing this is all free thanks to an awesome hunting community in the western states. As an East coast transplant now living in Denver, I've been trying to soak up all the elk hunting knowledge I can as I prepare for OTC Archery season this fall. Since I'm used to hunting whitetails from a treestand and have only saw 3 elk on the hoof, not in RMNP, I am curious to know if anyone uses these forums to find hunting partners? While I don't have any applicable elk hunting experience, I have 8 years of whitetail and turkey hunting experience and I would love the opportunity to tag along with someone to act as a spotter and pack mule just to gain some valuable insight into elk habitat and the spot and stalk process. It seems impossible to find anyone local in Denver that hunts and/or is willing to take the time to show someone the ropes. Granted I realize that could be a big undertaking but I think I could be more helpful than hurtful. What are yalls thoughts?

Last edited:
Greetings from the other side of the hill. It's a great forum, hopefully you can hook up with some like-minded folk. I'm a rifle guy, but there's a lot of bowhunters here. Good luck!

Greetings from the other side of the hill. It's a great forum, hopefully you can hook up with some like-minded folk. I'm a rifle guy, but there's a lot of bowhunters here. Good luck!

Marks, thanks for the warm welcome! I see you live in Fruita. I've been looking into units 421 and 521 which are over your direction. I just hear there's a ton of hunting pressure.. Any insight into that?

Both of those are good units with a lot of elk, a lot of land, and a lot of hunters. During archery, there can be a lot of cattle as well.

But that also goes for any number of units across the state.

I'm also a Fruita native and I'll second marks' remarks. Lots of elk out here but hunting pressure seems to have gotten worse especially during archery. Archery just wasn't as packed with hunters 10 years ago, according to the AWM out here. But that doesn't mean there's not a lot of fun to be had and lots of opportunity! Archery season was tough for me last year but I still had plenty of encounters. Good luck to you

Both comments have been duly noted. I think everyone that crunches the number and statistics see that there are a lot of elk there, which will draw the hunters. Especially people like me who aren't familiar with elk hunting. Going to an area that has more elk makes much more sense than going to a unit where only a few were shot in prior years. After all, if you can't find the elk, there's no opportunity to harvest one! That in itself would likely increase hunting pressure dramatically. If I'm remembering correctly, my stats showed approx. 2 hunters per square mile in both of those units compared to 1 or less in many other units. With that being said, would it be appropriate to assume that most of the bulls coming out of those units are barely legal bulls rather than anything of decent size?

try joining an archery club in your area.

there are some dandy bulls in otc units.

my advice for archery. spend some money on boots and decent gear and get into some wilderness areas.

It's probably worth your time to read this article from goHunt about Colorado elk application strategy. It has a chart listing some of the OTC units with big bulls.

https://www.gohunt.com/read/INSIDER/application-strategy-2016-colorado-elk-antelope-hunt-talk

As you can see there definitely are some big bulls in OTC units if you work hard and are fortunate. Some units definitely have better genetics than others but all are gonna have bulls worth taking. Good luck!

I hunt units 62 to 521 all the time, and a couple others because they are close. Ya, they are packed (most are now). I hunted in a few OTC units towards you the last two seasons with family for a few weekends. I'm not going to tell you what units, but if I lived closer I would hunt there every day. We shot 2 bulls in 2 days in view of town... unreal. Hardly any pressure in that area, but statistically they had high densities of hunters. I figure that is the trick- finding spots just like that (in any unit). You just have to get out there and try.

During archery season,elk are pretty easy to find.If your out before light and let out locator bugles they will tell u exactly where they are.Always keep the wind right.Look high on the mountains in archery.Google Earth is a great scouting tool.I basically look for areas at least a mile or 2 in that have feed,water and a north slope bedding area close to those 2 things.To me a trail is the same as a road and you want to get off any man made trails by at least a mile.Further can be better but it can be worse to_Outfitters will be from 4-5 miles in a deeper.Go deeper then road hunters but not so deep your hunting against outfitter camps
Elk hunting isn't very difficult in archery.Well at least seeing alot of elk.They will come in silent alot so always be ready.It's just like turkey hunting here in the east.But with elk you need to beat their nose unlike turkeys whose eyesight is their main defense.I envy you,and your going to have alot of fun chasing elk and Muley now

I basically look for areas at least a mile or 2 in that have feed,water and a north slope bedding area close to those 2 things
I've seen this a few times with advice on GE scouting, but is there anything specific to look for when identifying feeding areas other than it just being a meadow with the possibility for preferred food? Water and topographic features, I know what to look for there, but the feed situation is a little different. Thanks!

I hunt units 62 to 521 all the time, and a couple others because they are close. Ya, they are packed (most are now). I hunted in a few OTC units towards you the last two seasons with family for a few weekends. I'm not going to tell you what units, but if I lived closer I would hunt there every day. We shot 2 bulls in 2 days in view of town... unreal. Hardly any pressure in that area, but statistically they had high densities of hunters. I figure that is the trick- finding spots just like that (in any unit). You just have to get out there and try.

I appreciate all the advice! I definitely don't mind putting in the time and miles to get away from the roads and other hunters. As you noted, I've been looking into a few closer weekend spots as well. The ones that people drive past every morning to go to other units!!! haha

Mixedbag, thanks for making your post relatable to an East coast hunter! I think my next step is proceeding as if I'm going to be solo hunting and start learning how/when to call, putting a lot more time into e-scouting and putting boots on the ground in some close units to get used to the habitat.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HUNT7503
Back