Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

osceola turkey

skimerhorn

Anybody ever fool with the osceola birds? Buddy of mine is after me to go but I haven't pulled the trigger. How do they act compared to easterns, harder to hunt or more call shy? Just wonder what you guys thought about them.

Ive taken 2 with a shotgun and one with a bow. One of the shotgun and the archery birds wouldnt shut up. Gobbled thier heads off. I started the archery bird off the roost on 1/2 mile across a big pasture. Ended up shooting him at 30 yards @ 1230. Gobbled at least 200 times, watched him breed 6 hens over the morning and when he finnished he zigg- zagged from palmeto clump to palmeto clump all the way to me gobbling all the way. Prob one of the most workable birds Ive ever killed.

The 2nd shotgun bird was more difficult, prob like a mature eastern thats been messed with several times. Still plenty vocal to let me know where he was, just took his sweet time coming in. Id say pretty much what most consider normal for an osceola.

Mine were all taken on private land (large properties). Ive found they are similiar to other turkey subspecies, i.e depends on the bird and they day. More pressured birds will most likly be more difficult.

I have a small sample size but honestly didnt really feel they (least the ones Ive hunted) were all that difficult. The heat was the biggest hindrence. It shut them down most days. Afternoons were good hunting once it started cooling off

I just got back from Florida taking my wife on her osceola hunt. We had a blast and she tagged out on the second day of the hunt. Was a bit tough going as the birds were pretty quiet but we stuck to the program and were very patient and called in a hen in which the gobbler followed suit with his mouth shut.

I now know what you guys out east feel when you travel out west to hunt. The hunt was fun. What wasn't was dealing with the luggage, logistics and airline hassles of getting you & your gear to the hunt and then all that and your game animal back home.

All in all it was a blast and the osceola was #4 on her slam hit list leaving the Rio Grande turkey as the final one on her Royal Slam quest.

Well done! The Osceola is all I need to complete the Grand Slam. I should probably get on that.

I just got back from Florida taking my wife on her osceola hunt. We had a blast and she tagged out on the second day of the hunt. Was a bit tough going as the birds were pretty quiet but we stuck to the program and were very patient and called in a hen in which the gobbler followed suit with his mouth shut.

I now know what you guys out east feel when you travel out west to hunt. The hunt was fun. What wasn't was dealing with the luggage, logistics and airline hassles of getting you & your gear to the hunt and then all that and your game animal back home.

All in all it was a blast and the osceola was #4 on her slam hit list leaving the Rio Grande turkey as the final one on her Royal Slam quest.

Awesome accomplishment! Best wishes on her 5th. Good huntin'

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back