PEAX Equipment

Oregon Spring Bear

bmack

Just got back from a great bear hunt in NE Oregon with my dad.

Anytime I draw these tags I'm always concerned with the weather and not being able to get in to the location I want to be due to snow depth on the roads. Often times it isn't accessible to any form of vehicles until mid June. With the seasons running from April 1 - May 31st there has been many tags eaten due to mother nature.

This year we've had a nice warm spell and a pretty mild winter. I've waited patiently since the start of April and decided it was time to head up.

To our surprise we got several miles further than the last time we drew the tag until I finally buried the Tundra in a snow drift. That was the sign to back out and set up camp. From there we'd rodeo the ATV's over the drifts and see how far we could make it.

After navigating every north facing corner, drift and fallen timber we made it the 15 miles to where I wanted to be. Amazing!

This country is stunning in the spring and usually the bears are pretty easy to find. We spent the first 5 hours glassing a ton of country and only managed to find a few elk. I was a little surprised to be honest.

A guy we ran into gassing up said he just finished up with his hunt and the bears were not active until 6 pm. Then...it was go time.

Sure enough, at 6:30 we spotted our first bear. A super nice jet black one digging for wild onions. He was way off and not in a place to go after him, but a good sign.

As sunset approached we split up to look over a few more areas we'd been at earlier. No luck at my spot so I went to hook up with my old man. As I approached where he was I noticed a bear just coming into an opening in the valley below. A beautiful cinnamon color phase bear. A quick look in the spotter confirmed he was one to get after.

I left my dad and took off down in the valley to try and locate him. Once down there the landscape looks so different but thankfully I had a good idea of which open meadow he was feeding in. As I hiked into his area the wind was in my face and everything was looking good.

Finally caught movement and confirmed his location. I had plenty of cover to move in and approached to 120 yards with no problems. I got set up and had the bi-pods extended. I adjusted the zoom on my VX-3 and holy chit did he fill up the reticle! The bi-pod man a little noise which got his attention and when he looked right at me I started getting jacked up. His head was massive.

He finally turned broadside and I was able to make a good shot through the front shoulders. He went down immediately and then I followed up with one more to make sure of it.

This bear has a huge head and incredible shoulders. His character was unreal as he had many battle scars and his coat was just a beautiful long haired cinnamon color. His teeth are nearly worn down to nothing with the exception of his ridiculously massive k9's. Nose to tail he was 5.5' which seems small, but he was just built differently I guess. I don't know much on how a bear is scored, but I think he's pretty old and pretty bad ass no matter what a tape measure says.

As you can imagine, he exceeded my expectations and it was awesome to share it with my dad who watched everything happen from his spotter. A great first bear.

I shot him at 8:05 pm and we finally got back to camp at 1:00 am.

Dead dog tired.

PS - I think it was my new "lucky" hat that gave me some good karma!

Attachments

• Bear View.jpg
    Bear View.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 913
  • Bear view II.jpg
    Bear view II.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 879
  • Bear spotter.jpg
    Bear spotter.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 885
  • bear down.jpg
    bear down.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 899
  • bear down II.jpg
    bear down II.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 911
  • bear teeth.jpg
    bear teeth.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 846
  • bear bm.jpg
    bear bm.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 872
  • bear bm II.jpg
    bear bm II.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 850
  • bear bm tm.jpg
    bear bm tm.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 894
  • bear bm tm II.jpg
    bear bm tm II.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 893
  • bear camp.jpg
    bear camp.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 861
  • bear sunset.jpg
    bear sunset.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 835
Thx 4 sharing, those are some wonderful pics! Sounds like a super hunt, and one that'll be remembered. And to be able to do it with your Father makes it a booner hunt in my book and then some.

Congrats on a great bear, Bmack. Good luck topping that bear, or that hunt, given your Dad was right there with you.

I would like to think that lucky hat had something to do with it, but I suspect just plain old hard work and hunting skill were the deciding factors.

But, if anyone is looking for one of those lucky hats, we have a few left. :)

Nice bear and bmack. Head shoulders knees and toes. Looks like it could make a nice rug.

As far as score, you square the head: greatest width. plus greatest length. Generally tip of nose to back of skull and ear to ear. This is done once you remove the lower jaw and cleaned. Its much harder to field judge a bear, than a set of antlers. I mean actual skull measurement

Here in Wv we have a program set up with DNR to extract a tooth (Molar) and send it to them.. The bio will study each one.. Then let you know the age, and general health of the bear.

Nice story and a great bear to go with it.

Great bear in some awesome country. Interesting to me his canines look so good with the heavy wear on his incisors. I see lots of older bears that the canines are in really poor shape.

That area sounds like such a cool spot to hunt in the spring. Great pictures of the hunt.

That looks like a really stout old boar too, congrats.

As far as score, you square the head: greatest width. plus greatest length. Generally tip of nose to back of skull and ear to ear. This is done once you remove the lower jaw and cleaned. Its much harder to field judge a bear, than a set of antlers. I mean actual skull measurement

Here in Wv we have a program set up with DNR to extract a tooth (Molar) and send it to them.. The bio will study each one.. Then let you know the age, and general health of the bear.

Just got back from checking in my bear with the biologist and having her pull the pre molars. She is guessing him to be over 10 years old based on the receding gums around his K9's and the wear on the incisors.

My taxidermist green score the skull at 19 6/8".

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back