Oregon NR S. Bear do i really have a chance

Falcon75

I can get a great price for flights to get out there, so much we are looking at Easter break week with 6 people to Tillamook to stay with family. Would i have more than "Your saying i have a chance" with zero points and non-residents getting only 3% of tags. Would want to hunt near Tillamook so north west part of state. Especially units 12 and 14. I looked at this and on the surface 3% tags seams too low to even be worth having to buy non resident license cause at this point no plans to hunt anything else. Looks like Oregon already had the give less tags to non residents battle like new Mexico and Montana are fighting about now. Might just have to move somewhere (wy) and contribute to the problem of overcrowding that way.
Also have a youth hunter if that would be any better but then we would have to stay another week 😛.

The 3% is only for draw hunts. Does not affect OTC tags. But with no points your odds are really low for spring bear.

Well, if you don't apply at all your odds are 0%
I know but 167 lottery ticket. I am in AZ for deer so $15 for elk is nothing. Planning on contributing to point creep in either CO or WY this year. I was just wanting to know how long realistically it would take for a non resident to draw. 3 % seems way to low when I am use to 10 or more.

Sounds like a slim chance to me, but also, maybe its different on the coast, but where i live easter would really be early. So combine the slim chance of drawing with a poor hunt from being too early in the season, doesnt sound worth it. Me personally, id just do an otc spring hunt later in the season somewhere when bears are more active.

Sounds like a slim chance to me, but also, maybe its different on the coast, but where i live easter would really be early. So combine the slim chance of drawing with a poor hunt from being too early in the season, doesnt sound worth it. Me personally, id just do an otc spring hunt later in the season somewhere when bears are more active.
That was the other question I wanted to ask because we would be out right at the start of the season but near the coast. Would I be too early?

Where im at in northeastern washington there is very little bear activity in early april, doesnt start to get good until second week of mayish. Coastal bears could be different but i wouldnt count on it too much.

You could likely draw Unit 10 with zero points, which is just north of 12. If you went that route, I wouldn’t stay in Tillamook—would be too much of a drive everyday.

There is always a chance...RT above has a good second choice option.

A quick look at the Oregon Tags website predicts you would have a 56% chance of drawing the NW Oregon spring bear tag as a nonresident with 0 points.

As for your hunt dates, somebody kills a bear on April 1st every year, but the bulk of the action happens later. Your available dates would put a damper on my plans more than the chance of drawing the tag.

Either way, you better make up your mind today.

QQ

Two additional points:

There are no OTC spring bear tags in Oregon, so if you don't apply today, you won't be hunting spring bear in Oregon.

There is no advantage to being a youth for drawing the NW Oregon tag. There are some youth-only tags for spring bear, but they are all in NE Oregon. (Technically you could convert a Mentored Youth Hunter registration into a preference point if the youth is 15 or younger, and that would probably guarantee the youth a tag, so there is a way if you really want to jump through a couple hoops.)

QQ

They drew 17 of 18 nr last year, all in the random side. 1323 app and 990 tags in 2020. For 2021 they increased tags to 1365, you will draw if you apply.

Last edited:
They drew 17 of 18 nr last year, all in the random side. 1323 app and 990 tags in 2020. For 2021 they increased tags to 1365, you will draw if you apply.
Thanks but sounds like I would be too early. I guess a could stay second week but probably still early.

youve got a shot at the n w oregon tag//but honestly there is alot better bear hunting further south on the s w tag plus way more tags aloted,,i would say its easyer to draw.

Howdy folks, I'm new to Hunt Talk, and new to OR, not new to hunting!
I applied as a OR resident 700 series Controlled Spring Bear with Zero points and was drawn for Snake River Unit. I've never been to Hells Canyon... I don't have a have much time off available for this hunt, but I'm planning at least 2) 3-4 day trips and hunt my legs off!
Any tips and tactics appreciated!

Howdy folks, I'm new to Hunt Talk, and new to OR, not new to hunting!
I applied as a OR resident 700 series Controlled Spring Bear with Zero points and was drawn for Snake River Unit. I've never been to Hells Canyon... I don't have a have much time off available for this hunt, but I'm planning at least 2) 3-4 day trips and hunt my legs off!
Any tips and tactics appreciated!
It’s big, steep, spectacular country. If they aren’t already, get your legs in shape. Should be a fun hunt. Good luck.

I had a snake tag years ago but access because of snow was the biggest problem. Could go pretty much everywhere by memorial weekend. Walking in from the gate up PO saddle on the south end offers a lot of glassing opportunity and not much for folks. When I was up there most guys were driving around towards Hat Point and glassing down into the snake River side. The handful of bears I have seen were on the south end down low on the imnaha River side.

that wasn’t much for tips or tactics but just what I saw in the year that I had the tag. Good luck.

I had a snake tag years ago but access because of snow was the biggest problem. Could go pretty much everywhere by memorial weekend. Walking in from the gate up PO saddle on the south end offers a lot of glassing opportunity and not much for folks. When I was up there most guys were driving around towards Hat Point and glassing down into the snake River side. The handful of bears I have seen were on the south end down low on the imnaha River side.

that wasn’t much for tips or tactics but just what I saw in the year that I had the tag. Good luck.
That's good intel, and I appreciate you sharing.
I figured road access would be limited early season due to snowfall, and I anticipated hunting closer to Imnaha side.
I'm planning to get out mid April for 5 days and if I don't have any success, the last 10 days of season late May.

Did you harvest? If not what were the largest challenges you faced in that terrain?

Thanks again!

Where im at in northeastern washington there is very little bear activity in early april, doesnt start to get good until second week of mayish. Coastal bears could be different but i wouldnt count on it too much.
Would you mind sharing what elevations snow is at out your way now? I'm headed to the Snake for bear hunt 4/9 from Central OR. Long drive to get out there.

Thanks

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back