Oregon is no Wyoming!

IdahoBugler

With 12 points to burn in Oregon I decided it was a good idea to cash them in on the 2nd season Silvies unit. For no rhyme or reason except that I was ready to cash in and be done. I love hunting units that I have no idea on where to go. That's part of the fun in seeing new country and what it holds. I was able to do some research and google map searching and found a few places to checkout. Arrived in the unit at 3:00 in the morning and found my first lope 400 yards from the truck. Looked the rest of the day and found one other buck that has heavy at the bases with good prongs but only 12". Dang did I screw up by passing that first decent buck?

I talked with the local sheriff and 10 other hunters that had not seen much. Checked out two other hunters trophies an 8" and a 10". Now I'm not big on short hunts but I felt since this was the 2nd season and the first and only weekend coming up that I better not be picky. So I headed back to my first spot and found the first buck again with very little time left in the day. Snuck in to 75 yards of him and his 19 does and shot him. Marked my buck on my phone back country app program and headed back to get my pack frame and camera (forgot at the truck). Took an hour to find him again in the dark (stupid phone gps said I was standing right on him. :rolleyes:) Took pictures, gutted and hauled him out to a perfectly dark and clear night. Back at the truck at midnight for a quick rest and on the road for home.

In short I'm very happy with my buck. Will I wait another 12+ years to draw another tag for lopes in Oregon? No way. The cost and time is just not worth it.

Here is my buck. Notice the hunting shoes. Yep I forgot my boots.

This buck had a tank for a body.

Congrats Bugler! He certainly looks to be one of the bigger bodied pronghorn I've ever seen.

Very nicely done! Maybe you can come out with your own line of antelope hunting shoes! :D Sounds like you made a good shot as well.

Longtime no see IB.

Do my eyes deceive me or does Oregon have a Rifle season before the Archery season in many of the units?

With your limited timeline I'd say you did great with that buck.

Congrats on the buck. Too bad OR doesnt manage their wildlife better. I bet they'd have some good hunting.

What's up with the gun? I don't think you have every posted a critter without your bow.

Nice lope.

That's a good buck for 2nd season and a short hunt. There was a nice one taken off Brownlee on the opener. I saw him from a distance on my fishing charters, real nice buck for this area.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back