Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Oregon Elk Hunting

SagebrushSlayer

Anyone have good experiences archery hunting elk in Oregon. I am going to get an archery elk tag for Oregon this year. I am looking for advice on whether its better to hunt N.E. or Eastern Oregon, or coastal elk?

Hoping to hear some stories or advice on which side of the state would provide better rut action. Also would it be worth it to purchase an archery deer license in the event a spot and stalk presented itself? Thanks for any help you can shed on this.

Oregon is very diverse. Do you want to chase Rocky Mountains or the monster bodied Roosevelts? I grew up on the western side hunting the jungle for roosevelts. You must have patience and a good pair of legs. The rocky's in eastern Oregon are nearly identical to hunting other western states. Hit the Blue Moutnains, Steens Mountains, and the Klamath Mountains. If you choose to chase the Roosevelts, your best bet for public land hunting to buy your general and hunt the high cascade units. But be prepared for rapidly changing weather.

Don't know about archery season, but rifle hunting in the Cascades is not very productive unless you are one of the guys that knows exactly where to go. The jungle (Coast Range) has a lot of elk in areas that haven't been logged too heavily in recent years. Find an area with plenty of untouched timber left and you will find elk. Find a really good place and you could be into elk all day. I've spent a lot of time in Washington County, but most of it has been clear-cut/thinned to the point that it is pretty worthless in the places I used to hunt. I'd be in your boat if I was to go out and try it again and I live here.

I have nearly always hunted the blue mts archery syle ,on years that i dont pull a rifle or muzz controlled tag,and yes i always pick up a deer tag to do both at same time.

I heard the Weneha is a good place to check out :D

Draw a 100 mile circle around John Day and go. IMO Oregon is underrated for elk and you should have a good hunt. It can get pressured in some areas if enough people from Portland or Salem show up but I've always enjoyed my time there. Plenty of country most people won't hike into so finding a place to have to yourself is doable.

Best experience I've had elk hunting (besides my sons archery spike) was in eastern Oregon. Sneaking through the timber with my cousin I saw the flash of antler, we paused and a couple 6's, 5's, raghorns and spikes filtered 60-70 yards by us to bed. Several bulls in every age class. Cousin takes one on the eye lid by a yellow jacket as the elk had us pinned for hours. Somehow he kept his composure with an eye that looked like he pissed off Mike Tyson. There were always 3 to 5 bulls on their feet feeding and looking around so we were stuck. Cousin ended up sticking a raghorn out of the herd later in the day.

Some herds out in the desert but they move a long ways at times and you can burn a lot of fuel until you find them.

I agree with others that the Cascades is a difficult place so I would advise against starting there. Never hunted Rosy's so I can't comment on the west side.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I am now researching eastern Oregon units and have some areas I will be trying. Archery hunting is new to me and I have one season under my belt.

A couple questions regarding eastern Oregon:

Would it be better to focus on finding water during the early part of the season or spot and stalking? I am looking between baker city, la grande, and enterprise.

Should I concentrate on units that have higher number of elk being killed or higher percentage success rates? I more looking for opportunity than quality for now.

I plan on giving 5-7 days straight for the elk hunt. The hunt might be solo or could be with some friends that know the lay of the land in a couple units. Either way, it should be fun

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jscrocca
Back