PEAX Equipment

Ordering my 338 Win mag, barrel Length

35whelen

Im ordering my 338 but Im not sure what barrel length to order 22 24 26 they all have 1:10 twist.

My two cents (that are probably worth one cent on this topic) is for Long Action and Magnum action hunting rifles I prefer 24 inches to make sure I get decent powder burn. But my guess is 22" would be just fine if you were worried about overall length. 26" may eke out a little more velocity, and it may be arbitrary distinction on my part, but I find that a tad long in the hand when carried in the field.

It’s my understand that optimal is 26” for 338 Win Mag, 24” for 338-06, 22” for 338 Federal. But, 24” will work fine for 338 Win Mag.
Where are you hunting? If open areas with longer shots I’d go 26” as the additional 2” would provide slightly better trajectory over the long distances without being an inconvenience, but if hunting in more dense landscape with shorter shots 24” will be more practical with relatively little sacrifice in velocity/energy.

Congrats on your new rifle. We have a .338 Win Mag and it has a twenty 24" barrel. That is enough length to keep tight patterns up to 650 yards.

Pick the length that will balance the rifle how you want. If you don't know, err on a bit longer. If you need it shortened later for balance, a cut/crown is cheap and fast to get done.

The velocity difference between 22" and 26" isn't enough to worry about or change any results in the field. The bigger cartridge will be faster in all barrel lengths. Barrel length does not correlate to accuracy.

I've owned 24 & 26" 338WM/340W/338 RUM but only one 22" ( 338 Federal) I like 26 for hunting more open areas, but 24 is fine. 22" feels like a 'carbine" in my hands, but I'm tall. Go 26" as said by1-pointer and if it doesn't handle right, cut it off! I think horseback hunts require more specialized equipment, so if you are doing the saddle scabbard thing, 22"-24" may be more prudent.

I agree, 26" is nice if you're hunting open country, and or not hiking vary far. Another thing to consider is muzzle blast. I notice a big difference between 22" and 26" with the magnums that I own (even without muzzle brakes). But that said, if you're hunting brush and timber, 26" can be a pain. I feel that 24" is a good compromise for most situations.

Barrel length has no effect on accuracy, only speed. With those big, heavy bullets your going to shoot, you won’t notice any difference between the three as far as lethality goes.

But seriously for me the way I pack my rifle in my kifaru sling there’s not many things more annoying than a 23”+ barrel getting in the way of my headlight on the hike in or out in the dark

But seriously for me the way I pack my rifle in my kifaru sling there’s not many things more annoying than a 23”+ barrel getting in the way of my headlight on the hike in or out in the dark
That is one of the things that will likely keep me from hunting with a suppressor. But we will see, it just got out of NFA prison last week - but may just be a range toy.

24" is a good length for a 338 WM. I have a 24" and a 26", and like the 24 better.

That is one of the things that will likely keep me from hunting with a suppressor. But we will see, it just got out of NFA prison last week - but may just be a range toy.
I've not had any problems with a gun bearer up to 24" barrels. That said, I'd not be skeered of shortening one to put the suppressor on. Some of the velocity loss from the shorter barrel will likely be made up by the suppressor. That and a 100fps either way isn't a gamechanger/deal breaker IMO. When I get around to having a suppressor, it will definitely be going hunting as that is the primary reason I'd want one. I can more easily mitigate noise at the range...

The 338 has roughly the same powder capacity to bore diameter ratio as a 30-06. You really dont need a 26" tube. I'd go 24" mostly for balance and a little longer barrel reduces blast and muzzle lift.

I'd lean towards the 24" for an all around length. You'll lose some velocity from the 26", but my .257 Wby Mag has a 26" and it's a pain in the brush. If you're planning on only using it for open country elk maybe, it would be worth it, but if you plan on working the brush, I'd stay with 23" or 24"

I'd lean towards the 24" for an all around length. You'll lose some velocity from the 26", but my .257 Wby Mag has a 26" and it's a pain in the brush. If you're planning on only using it for open country elk maybe, it would be worth it, but if you plan on working the brush, I'd stay with 23" or 24"
A general rule is 25fps per inch of barrel with most cartridges. Factory loads often very by 100fps for the same bullet weight, so the velocity loss issue isnt really a issue.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nurek
Back