Yeti GOBOX Collection

Optics Combo

Kevin11mee

I currently use Zeiss Conquests 10x42 as my chest bino and have 15x56 SLC's as my tripod bino. My tripod is a Sirui with a VA5 head. The bino combo does work well and I really like the 15's for spotting deer out to a mile or so but I often can't tell if what I spot is a buck or doe. My hunting is generally either day hunts from a truck/base camp or backpack hunts maybe 5-6 miles from the truck. I'm hunting mostly mule deer with some elk, pronghorn and coues deer mixed in depending on draw. So I was thinking of the following options:

Option A
-Add a Kowa 550 spotter to the mix as it's light and I may actually carry all 3 optics.

Option B
- Sell the 15's and purchase a larger spotter like a Swaro 65 or Kowa 77.

I'm open to other suggestions as well.

My strong opinion after a few beers this afternoon working on some projects…

If you already have 15x SLCs I wouldn’t spend money on a smaller spotter, even though Kowas are excellent. I think the ideal solution is a pair of top quality 10x42s (or 12 NLs) and an 80mm-ish spotter.

I have 10x42 SLCs and a 65mm ATS spotter. I worked hard for what I have and I’m very happy with what I’ve got.

If I had unlimited funds I’d probably have 10 or 12 NL Pures and I’d spend the rest of my money figuring out whether I preferred the Swaro 85 ATX or Kowa 88.

I’ll second what @MTLabrador said. If you’ve got top tier 15’s then don’t get a small spotter. You won’t gain anything with one eye through a small spotter over two eyes through the 15’s.

Get an 80+ spotter (Meostar S2, Kowa 77, 88, Swaro) For the most part you’ll only have one of the 15’s or the big spotter in your pack at any given time.

I’ll second what @MTLabrador said. If you’ve got top tier 15’s then don’t get a small spotter. You won’t gain anything with one eye through a small spotter over two eyes through the 15’s.

Get an 80+ spotter (Meostar S2, Kowa 77, 88, Swaro) For the most part you’ll only have one of the 15’s or the big spotter in your pack at any given time.
Would love your opinion on the differences in optical quality between the Kowa 77 and 88.

Would love your opinion on the differences in optical quality between the Kowa 77 and 88.
The 88 has almost zero Chromatic Aberration, the 77 shows a tiny bit but it is there. The 88 is a small improvement for resolution and might get you an additional 5 minutes of worthwhile glassing.

Picking between the two, if you're someone that is sensitive to CA, and don't think twice about an additional 8 ounces, get the 88. It is worth it.

If you're an ounce counter, get the 77. If I remember right, the 77 is actually lighter than the Swaro STX 65.

The 88 has almost zero Chromatic Aberration, the 77 shows a tiny bit but it is there. The 88 is a small improvement for resolution and might get you an additional 5 minutes of worthwhile glassing.

Picking between the two, if you're someone that is sensitive to CA, and don't think twice about an additional 8 ounces, get the 88. It is worth it.

If you're an ounce counter, get the 77. If I remember right, the 77 is actually lighter than the Swaro STX 65.
Alright, alright. I’ll keep saving for the 883. Thanks.

My glass options at home are 10x42 nikon monarch HG, 12x50 swaro EL, Kowa 553, Meopta S2 82. If I know i'm going to be doing a lot of walking and a lot of tripod glassing, the 12x swaros on chest and the 553 kowa is a nice combo for me. The 12s work for quick handheld checks but I really dont like to do much hand held glassing with them. The spotter works to get a closer look at critters spotted with binos but I wouldn't want to be spending much time looking for game behind the 553. It's pretty sensitive about eye position. The meopta s2 doesn't make it on many trips with tons of hiking just because of weight but most of hunts aren't long distance or long duration glassing intense either. I spend more time getting to areas that are hard to see from a long ways away and glassing in than i do looking over huge expanses where 15s and a big spotter would shine.

My strong opinion after a few beers this afternoon working on some projects…

If you already have 15x SLCs I wouldn’t spend money on a smaller spotter, even though Kowas are excellent. I think the ideal solution is a pair of top quality 10x42s (or 12 NLs) and an 80mm-ish spotter.

I have 10x42 SLCs and a 65mm ATS spotter. I worked hard for what I have and I’m very happy with what I’ve got.

If I had unlimited funds I’d probably have 10 or 12 NL Pures and I’d spend the rest of my money figuring out whether I preferred the Swaro 85 ATX or Kowa 88.
Nice combo. I'm guessing you like that 65 ATS?

Thanks for everyone's opinions. I am going to keep both the 10x42's and the 15x56's and add a spotter. I just picked up a 65mm ATS for $1432 from Amazon (body only).

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back