Yeti GOBOX Collection

Optics Best Value and Key Price Points

tomengineer

Kind of a rambling question here. I’m considering upgrading binoculars for this fall. Hunting binoculars seem to fall in the $250, $500, $1000, $1200, $1500 and $1,800 groups across manufacturers with those being approximate. I’m just wondering what you consider to be the best value dollar amount on that scale. Where is the point of diminishing returns?

I know there are endless different situations and priority specs but just looking for opinions. It’s really hard to judge these inside during a trade show so I’m thinking real world experience would be more accurate.

I currently have Vortex Viper 10x42’s and like them but am looking at some Mavens now as they are 15% off. The B1 or B2’s. I’ve gone down the rabbit hole of Meopta and Swaro etc. but can’t really settle on a best value optic level and have a little analysis paralysis going.

Meostar from Schmalts are the best value I’ve found.

I just finished up testing the new Meopta Meoair (under 1k) and highly recommend them. Not sure when those will be released though.
Ok thanks.

I was going to recommend talking to Schaaf but he already posted. Meopta Meostars are amongst the better deals out there.

I ended up with Nikon HGs as they are much lighter than the Meostars and got a smoking deal.

Hi tomengineer, I’m Pete Engineer. I too fall victim to analysis paralysis when faced with multiple options. I do love great optics though and I’ve found that you get what you pay for. That point of diminishing returns that you mention is an elusive point to find and somewhere, that path crosses the max affordability point. Start with the latter and work backwards until ur brain says NO. Good luck, and happy analyzing!

Meostar from Schmalts are the best value I’ve found.

I just finished up testing the new Meopta Meoair (under 1k) and highly recommend them. Not sure when those will be released though.
What do you mean by from Schmalts? Googling that one but not seeing it. Thanks.

Hi tomengineer, I’m Pete Engineer. I too fall victim to analysis paralysis when faced with multiple options. I do love great optics though and I’ve found that you get what you pay for. That point of diminishing returns that you mention is an elusive point to find and somewhere, that path crosses the max affordability point. Start with the latter and work backwards until ur brain says NO. Good luck, and happy analyzing!
Ok thank you. The more research I do the more I lean towards the Meopta’s at the $1,000 mark or the Swaro SLC’s in 10x42. I just think of all the tags I could buy with that money....

Some what of an optic nut myself. In all honesty the point of dimishing returns really hits about the 1200 to 1500 mark....over that your paying a lot for little.
thats for binoculars.

Yes I too would like to test things.
In that case maven optics has a actual demo program. If I was looking at optics they'd be getting a call. Solid company to, I can't disagree with @Schaaf though if there's anyone on this forum that knows glass he's one of the better. I remember when he had like 3 or 4 $2k scopes he was testing hahaha

In that case maven optics has a actual demo program. If I was looking at optics they'd be getting a call. Solid company to, I can't disagree with @Schaaf though if there's anyone on this forum that knows glass he's one of the better. I remember when he had like 3 or 4 $2k scopes he was testing hahaha
Yes I see their demo items but the discount looks to be 5%. They sent me a code for 15% off and they don’t charge tax to my state...just tempting.

Yes I see their demo items but the discount looks to be 5%. They sent me a code for 15% off and they don’t charge tax to my state...just tempting.
The Maven B2’s are a phenomenal binocular and I was very impressed with the 9x45. A little big and heavy but they balance well. It’s been a while since I saw what they are priced at. But if the 15% off gets them under $900 or so it’s a pretty good deal.

Being friends with @Schaaf is the most expensive hobby I've ever had.

To your first question, I think it's absolutely worth getting into the $1000 dollar bino level. They're a big jump up from the stuff you can get for $500-700. Once you get over $1000 it seems like you have to pay a lot for little gains. I have Zeiss Conquests, but I was super impressed with the 9x45 Mavens.
Ok thanks. What’s your vote on the Mavens vs. Meoptas?

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back