Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Opinions on new Pa deer rifle

Chris76

Right now I use the family gun that has been past down from my pap to my uncle to my dad then to me......I have been using the 30-06 Remington game master 760 but bc none of the above are with me any longer I want to retire it to keep in nice shape for my son. I have a 270 but I do not like that gun at all. Thoughts of what to buy next.

Budget? Typical shooting distances? Type of game? Do you like your stocks wood or synthetic? Are you recoil shy? Do you have long arms? All will help steer you to the right gun for you. But with no other information provided, a simple, reasonably priced, reliable, smooth gun in a low recoil "do all cartridge" is the Tikka T3x Lite Stainless in 7mm08. With answers to be beginning questions myself (and many more qualified HTers than me) can help you dial in on good options.

Not recoil shy I like wood stocks but really doesn’t matter if it’s not wood. Would like to stay around a grand with scope around 1200. For white tail deer in Pa. the longest shot would be 150 yards bc will be hunting in the woods not field.

The Tikka t3x superlite in .308. Good for pa deer and pretty much everything else. I like the Cabela’s exclusive camo version. The Hamburg PA store has it.

Similar story as op. I’ve got a handed down wood master 742 in 30-06. I’ve taken some deer with it but I’ve retired mine (not the most accurate rifle ever created). I ended up with a tikka on sale with a vortex $350 scope. If I just wanted to hunt pa, I might have looked for an old marlin 30-30.

Go to a gun shop and handle many different rifles. There is a TON of rifles out there that will do the job on PA whitetail. The decision is which one YOU like best. A lot of guys like Tikka(I'm not a huge fan personally). I really like the Browning Xbolt. I don't think you need to spend a grand on the rifle if you're going to put a $200 scope on it. Personally, I would be looking for a rifle in the $600-$800 price range and putting a $400-$500 scope on it.

If you like wood I would pick between the Bergara B-14 Woodsman, the Tikka T3x Hunter Stainless or the Tikka T3x Hunter. I would get it in .243Win, 6.5 creedmoor, or 7mm08Rem. I would put a Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40mm scope on it (from schmalts on HT - his prices are unbeatable).

I use a .444 Marlin for brush busting. There is no such thing as a clear shot where I hunt in Northern Minnesota.
This in 7mm-08 with a Leupold.
Exact setup I used my first four years of hunting!

I grew up in PA and was partial to the .30-30 for that country and still use it sometimes when I make it back for deer season. @rwc101 my dad has one of those remington .270s. That thing has killed a lot of deer! Classic PA deer rifle for sure.

I own a marlin 1895guide gun in 45-70. It has a fixed 4x scope. Its my timber gun and would be great for a eastern deer hunt.

Living/hunting in PA, i'll share my experiences.
Savage 110 in 30-06. Wood stocked. Loved 165gr Ballistic Tips. Kicked like a mule!
Till i put a brake on it that is. After that, was more a shove straight back. I could watch the bullet impacts. No tracking involved.

Stevens 200 (Savage 10) in 7mm-08.
Light recoiling. Good accuracy. Use 120-150 gr Ballistic Tips, or Berger VLD Hunting.

Ruger 77 MKII in 280 Rem. Low recoil. Hits hard! Again, 120-150gr bullets.

All my rifles were bought used. Except for the Forbes 24B, most i paid for my rifles was $400.
The $169 Vortex Crossfire II in 4-12X42 is one of the most useful scopes for PA.
I'll add on Sightron SIH 3-9X40.
Both clear glass with good visibility at low light.

I hunt the NE section of PA, shots are never more than 150 yards if your lucky enough, most are around 25-50 yards. I use either a 243 or Marlin 336 in 35 Remington. Anyways, as others have suggested, I'd go to your local gun shop and see what you like. I can tell you my 243 loaded with either an 80gr Hornady GMX or Barnes TTSX bullet puts down deer fast!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back