MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Opinions on a couple Wyoming units.

rmauch20

I sure guys get tired of these types of questions, but I was wondering if anyone would give their opinion on a couple units for 2018 Antelope I am focused on. I know most of the stats and draw odds from WF&G and GoHunt are not set for the 2018 season and my research is based on old info. I have spent so much time on onx maps, WF&G, Gohunt, and County road maps I am beginning to worry people are figuring out I am not actually working and two pages of notes are hunting units, county and town names.
I have them separated in regular draw and special draw. As of now this is a solo trip and I have no record setting expectations.

The actual draw reports from WY were available an hour after the draw results were up, back in June.
I wouldn't get too excited, tentative quotas will be up in March.

Sorry I forgot to put that in there. I have one point. There’s three units that I’m interested in the special draw. My main question with those or is it worth paying for the special draw or my better going with my regular draw units.
I know some guys don’t like talking/putting information out about units so I can send it p.m. or give you my email or phone. Or I can put them out here and everyone can discuss them.

I really don't think that discussing a 1 point unit (any unit for that matter) is going to alter your chances of drawing it. I'm not about to publish any "honey-holes" that I have discovered through my own leg work, but unit numbers aren't going to hinder you.
If you tell us what units you're considering, that will allow people to weigh-in and discuss specifics.

JMHO

The units in the regular draw that I’m looking at in order of preference at this time 21,7,9,6.
If I went special draw what I like so far is 38, 29.
If I am reading WF&G info right they should all be %100 draw odds. If someone can explain on the 2017 Wyoming PP draw report what is the difference between <1 and 1.

Are you looking to burn your point or hang on to it?

Any of those units should work out for a good representative buck. I see that unit 6 had an almost 99% success rate for bucks!

Last edited:
Not if you buy a special (assuming the numbers don't change from last year).

unit 6 last year, 0 points special was 100% draw, and ~99% harvest!

I really like 38. I lived in the unit for several years and there were plenty of goats and more than enough land for great hints.

If someone can explain on the 2017 Wyoming PP draw report what is the difference between <1 and 1.

Simply put, it means that there was at least one party app where the average points of those applying together were less than 1.

And here’s my take on the special tag, if you like the unit you’re eyeing then go for it. I burned 5 points applying in the special pool this past year. Had an absolute blast. Hunted with my dad. Shot a nice buck. And even though I was hunting opening day I only ran into one other hunter in my unit and that was driving one of the two-tracks. I wouldn’t do one thing differently. I say go for it.

Tough question. My party drew in to the NR special draw in Wyoming with 3 pts. The general NR draw only took 2 pts but we were willing to pay the price to guarantee a tag. If I had to do it again I would just do the general draw.

The hard part is starting the preference point process for western hunting since you will start out at 0 pts for all species. My advice is to apply for a point each year for any species that you would enjoy hunting, and you can likely go on a quality hunt every other year. For example, you first start applying in year 0. By year 2, you can go on a good antelope hunt, by year 4 you can draw in very good deer units, and by year 6, you will have great elk unit odds. And by year 8, you are back to a superb antelope hunt. You can edit your strategy by how often you want/can hunt.

Not if you buy a special (assuming the numbers don't change from last year).

unit 6 last year, 0 points special was 100% draw, and ~99% harvest!

So, if a guy as 2 or 3 points, but wants to save up to 9 or 10 before burning, but doesn't want to wait 7 years to hunt, how does the second choice work on a unit like you describe? If I picked some very low chance dream unit as my primary and unit 6 as my secondary (bought "special"), what would last years odds be on the second choice election? Obviously to get as a second a unit has to be a 100% primary draw, but I am not seeing the draw odds as a second choice beyond that.

So, if a guy as 2 or 3 points, but wants to save up to 9 or 10 before burning, but doesn't want to wait 7 years to hunt, how does the second choice work on a unit like you describe? If I picked some very low chance dream unit as my primary and unit 6 as my secondary (bought "special"), what would last years odds be on the second choice election? Obviously to get as a second a unit has to be a 100% primary draw, but I am not seeing the draw odds as a second choice beyond that.

Assuming you're paying the special fee, it all depends on the unit you put in as your second choice. Your odds to draw in the special, on a second choice vary from 0-100%, just look at the NR random draw odds.

With the fee increase in the special, I would expect your second choice odds to improve this year.

Assuming you're paying the special fee, it all depends on the unit you put in as your second choice. Your odds to draw in the special, on a second choice vary from 0-100%, just look at the NR random draw odds.

With the fee increase in the special, I would expect your second choice odds to improve this year.

So, "second choice odds" show up in the "random draw" odds info? That helps.

Thanks!

So, "second choice odds" show up in the "random draw" odds info? That helps.

Thanks!

I've been looking at this as well. If I'm seeing things correctly, your first choice hunt is the only one that your preference points are applied to. So your second and third choice special draw would be the same odds as someone with zero preference points. Make sense?

Go into the hunt planner interactive map, click on the antelope map then the area you are interested in. Click on more info then click drawing odds. It shows the number of first, second and third choice applicants for that area.
First choice takes your PP if drawn but second and third do not if drawn.
I do believe the second and third choices are still drawn based on PP it is not random.

Go into the hunt planner interactive map, click on the antelope map then the area you are interested in. Click on more info then click drawing odds. It shows the number of first, second and third choice applicants for that area.
First choice takes your PP if drawn but second and third do not if drawn.
I do believe the second and third choices are still drawn based on PP it is not random.

Incorrect! PPs are only used for your first choice in the draw. Second and third choices in the draw are random and everyone has the same chance at those tags whether they have 0 PPs or 12 max. People need to be aware though that if they don't get their first choice with the number of PPs they have they then go into the random drawing and if drawn there you lose your PPs. Only after you don't get your first choice tag in that drawing do you get entered for your second and third choices that are random drawings.

The units in the regular draw that I’m looking at in order of preference at this time 21,7,9,6.
If I went special draw what I like so far is 38, 29.
If I am reading WF&G info right they should all be %100 draw odds. If someone can explain on the 2017 Wyoming PP draw report what is the difference between <1 and 1.

I've hunted 6, 7, 9. All are easy to draw usually, and all have limited amounts of public land. You generally have to drive a good ways in between huntable ground. Much of the hunting areas are on the small side and you'll see other people. They generally aren't considered trophy units by any means. There's lots of better units and there's a few worse. That being said, you'd more than likely find some antelope to shoot. My biggest complaint on units like that is all the seat time in the truck going across the unit. That's how antelope hunting can be sometimes though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back