MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Opening weekend Utah

UtahMountainMan

I took my 2 oldest boys out for their first real hunt this past weekend (we have 4 boys, ages 9, 7, 3, and 2 so a lot of tags in the future lol).

They have tagged along a couple times before, but I always made things easy for them. This time I took them with me and hunted basically the same way I would have had I been solo.

Fri night glassing we saw 2 small bucks, about 30 does, a 5pt bull and a few cows.

Opening day hiked up to close to timberline and sat the afternoon and evening. We ran into a couple of bucks up in the high country but only got to 120 yards before the biggest buck saw us. He didnt run off right away but he had us pegged and we couldnt do much other than try to sneak around. They moved slowly up a ridge and we continued after them pretty much straight up a hill side but never got back to within 200 yards.

We then ran into a small 2 point that the boys were BEGGING me to shoot. I almost had to oblige them since this buck was standing broadside at 40 yards for 2 to 3 minutes while we talked in our normal voices. He certainly had a death wish, but we didnt grant it that day. Im in the dedicated hunter program so I have the bow, muzzleloader, and rifle season to tag a buck. I had to convince the boys that we need to leave that little buck for some one else to shoot and maybe 3 or 4 years from now my oldest son could come back and shoot him.

Didnt tag one this weekend, but as a dad who has been counting down the minutes until my boys were old enough to start to keep up in the mountains, it was one of the best weekends of my life.

Gotta love the mountains, hunting, and the lessons and moments that come from sharing the outdoors with others.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (7).jpg
    FullSizeRender (7).jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 404
  • FullSizeRender (6).jpg
    FullSizeRender (6).jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 397
  • FullSizeRender (5).jpg
    FullSizeRender (5).jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 404
  • FullSizeRender (4).jpg
    FullSizeRender (4).jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 400
Super! Gotta love getting the kiddos out there.

I had a similar situation play out once by having a small buck come in while hunting with my son. I shot it. That was 2 years ago and he still talks about "his" buck... :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back