Caribou Gear Tarp

Opening day NV Bull

got2hunt

Well i headed out for an elk hunt on Friday I arrived at camp just b4 10pm we talked over the game plan and hit the hay. we woke up in the morning to 5 inches of snow and i was stoked as well as the hunter, I knew it gonna be a hunt to remember. well we went to the spot where the elk had been frequnting, only to see a nice 4x4 buck about 27 or so. we watched him till he went over the ridge and soon here came some other hunters they stopped and asked us if we saw that big 4x4 come through here, we told them yes and pointed to where he topped over the ridge. they went up the hill on the other end and fog rolled in. as the fogg lifted enough to see that same ole buck slipped back over to our side and down the draw to our left we laughed at those hunters there was no way they was gonna out smart that ole guy. awile later, one of our guides walked over the ridge to our right and he came back with some news that he had found another good buck about the same size as this other, he was with 7 does and a smaller buck. well around 10 we pulled out and went to check another spot on the way up we found elk tracks we went to the ridge they went into and glassed hard finding nuttin so i returned to the truck and was BSing with my boss/the hunter and we were glassing a small basin below us, and he spotted yet another good buck working a couple does we were watching him till the other guide came back. as we started to leave I took one last look at the buck and looked about 100 yards above him and spotted the first elk of the day, bringing out the Leica spotter, we came to the conclusion that one was a good 6x6 and the others were cows, we comtelmplated on a stalk and declined he wasnt the one he wanted, so the search was on again. we went back to where we were earlier , and on the way there we happened to see yet another nice buck working his way off of a ridge towards us, we stopped to let him work his way down and then we started off again, we approached my pickup, and his tracks crossed just about 100 yards from it. we went to where we wanted to go, and split up to glass, I spotted another buck working several does, and the hunter spotted a herd of elk so off the ridge we went, got to the truck put up the Leica, and found that there was atleast 3 bulls in the herd and one that got our attention, jumoed in the truck headed out, got to my oickup graped it for extra security and up the mountain we went again. to our surprise they were just on the backside of the basin we followed the tracks to. we avised a game plan, and headed out. we topped the ridge causously, and found that they were right below us at 250 yards. we glassed and I soon picked up the bull bedded amonst 40 cows and smaller bulls. from our vantage point all we could see of the big bull was antlers so we waited and waited like eternity, and he seemed he didnt want to stand, so I thought it be the best to set up the hunter where the wind wouldnt bother as much and the us 2 would walk into the saddle to distact the cows and make them get anxious and run it worked perfectly, the bull stood looked at us and as soon as he started to turn he fell down followed by a tremendous boom from the 7mm mag, we hooted and hollared for a bit and then made the walk down to the downed bull where the congraulations continued.

keep cheking the website the pic of the bull should be there shortly, right now they are having problems with the puter but should be there by late tues

I am having trouble myself posting pics

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back