OnX vs BaseMap

I use OnX, never used base maps but herd good things. Also not sure if base maps has 3d but OnX now has the 3D and its very helpful

I have both but would pick OnX every time if I only had one. The user interface for Basemap is not very good, boundaries move when you zoom and downloading offline maps is challenging to say the least, to name just a few issues.

I’ve used both. I’m using BaseMap now, haven’t experienced the issues that amo described. BaseMap has 3D, they had it a long time before OnX. They’re both good, each does something better than the other. They both have good customer service. I stopped using OnX because I got sick of all my saved info disappearing from the app if I was out of cell range for 2 days.

I am IOS and I will exclusively use basemaps because OnX charges by State. As much as I go between Idaho,Wyoming and Utah BaseMaps does the trick with one subscription instead of 3. BaseMaps was 3D way before OnX.

I am IOS and I will exclusively use basemaps because OnX charges by State. As much as I go between Idaho,Wyoming and Utah BaseMaps does the trick with one subscription instead of 3. BaseMaps was 3D way before OnX.
For $100, you can do all 50 states on OnX

I use onX. Price really isn’t bad if you’re getting all 50 states. I use it for hunting, fishing, and even work some for measuring properties. I pay $60 a year. Camofire will run sales multiple times a year. They will email you a code to put in after purchase. Just turn off your automatic renewals and input the code.

I wonder if OnX is precise enough to help me determine public/private land boundaries on steelhead rivers and creeks in the great lakes.

I use onX. Price really isn’t bad if you’re getting all 50 states. I use it for hunting, fishing, and even work some for measuring properties. I pay $60 a year. Camofire will run sales multiple times a year. They will email you a code to put in after purchase. Just turn off your automatic renewals and input the code.
Btw, I love your channel

OnX, it has far better private parcel data.

Couple FYIs, the blue dot on the map ie your location, it's accuracy is based on your device, carrier, and towers/ satellites, it has nothing to do with your mapping platform.

Parcel data, no one has 100% accurate data. A huge amount of land ownership information is unmapped/unrecorded/ and has not been litigated. Mapping platforms generally use assessors data, if a owner get's their property surveyed it is not particularly common for them to provide that data to the assessors office. The assessors office does not keep up with quiet title suits, the assessors office does not map easements. (Some in some jurisdiction might, I'm speaking in generalities). It is entirely possible that OnX has for example shorefront labelled as public, they got this from the county assessors office, BUT that landowner claims that shorefront as their own, and they filed and won a Quiet Title and therefore own it fee simple.

All of these mapping applications are great, but the you use them at your own risk. Trespassing for recreation is low risk all things considered, but give yourself margin for error.

When buying from camofire, does the subscription start date begin when you purchased it or from when you enter the code when your subscription is ready to renew?

goHunt has a new one out, also. You might consider doing a trial of all three & see which one suits you best. There all good companies & it’s easy to move data between OnX & BaseMap.

What do you guys think about Gaia GPS? I just signed up for a premium membership and it seems good so far. Loads quicker on my computer than OnX also.

Partner switched from onX to GAIA when he went to android. He had too much user data for onX on that platform.
I have Android also. OnX pushed a couple of updates through right before season last year and one of them kept causing the app to freeze.

Back