PEAX Equipment

One last WY Wall Tent Question

VikingsGuy

Got a chance to do a quick drive through of WY Units 42 and 26 this weekend. We will be there the second week of the season. Filling our tags is not a concern, but where to pitch our new 16x20 canvas wall tent is. In both units the number of areas down "out of the wind" where we could get our little single axle trailer in an out of is fairly limited. I was surprised/disappointed about how few desirable camping spots on BLM with decent 2 track access there were - it was just too flat and too wide open - and any decent gully/river bottom was private or state. Of course there are countless generic flat areas of BLM where camping would be allowed but are just sitting there wide open. The problem is with this is wind - last year in unit 9 we had one day in the first week of Oct where it was difficult to crest a hill and not get blown off your feet. I can't imagine the wall tent surviving that.

What are your experiences in WY with wind and large wall tents. If you are stuck putting it up in the open, will it reasonably survive? Is getting down out of the wind a must? Has anyone tried some type of sloping windbreak canvas?

I don't know about 26, but in 42 I've just driven down into the Snowies and camped in the NF. It's about an hour to Rock River from the north end, free showers in Saratoga, see lots of moose and usually listen to the elk bugling at night.

Edit; tried to camp by Wheatland reservoir once, tent almost wound up in the lake.

This was our elk camp back a few year ago. We had 60+ mph winds over a couple of days. We had out tent staked down very well and tight guy lines. The only issue was the tie ropes were vibrating in the wind, we made adjustments to slow that down. We also parked our truck as a wind break. Good, heavy duty tent stakes that fit through the grommets are a big plus., for the fly ropes as well.
Orient the side of the tent to the wind so it blows over the top not through the door. A tarp over the top and staked at the ground on one side would probably help direct the wind over the top.
A well staked tent will endure the wind, shade is another issue out there. Maybe go with a dark colored rain fly.

Got a chance to do a quick drive through of WY Units 42 and 26 this weekend. We will be there the second week of the season. Filling our tags is not a concern, but where to pitch our new 16x20 canvas wall tent is.
So did you decide to go 42 and then 26 or 26 then 42 for your hunt order?

There are few good spots in 26 to camp that aren't in the wide open, you could look into camping in the unit to the east.

Back